Book Light?

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Dollar Tree has a cheap but useful LED goose-neck booklight for, you guessed it, one dollar. The clip opens to just under 3/4" and has good spring pressure. The goose-neck consists of a plastic tube with a stiff wire and the electrical wiring. The head contains a crude reflector, the LED (normal blue-white tint), and a flat plastic lens secured by a screw-on bezel.
The body contains the 3x AG13 button cells (included), as well as the switch and the clip. The cells are replaceable via a single screw that holds the cover in place.
Brightness is pretty good although at the short length of the goose-neck the spot is too small to cover a whole page. I may modify the "lens" and lightly sandpaper it to give more diffusion. I'll be using mine as a worklight over audio mixers and other AV gear. It's light enough that it could be clipped to a chest pocket or a hat brim. The goose-neck stiffness is just about right for making adjustments that will then stay in place. This light should be very useful for tasks like soldering or anytime you need precise positioning of a hands-free small light. I used it tonight for putting those tiny split rings on my L1P and it was great!
If using it at a greater distance from your task, the spot beam from the LED should be just fine as is.
I compared it to one of the CMG Infinity Ultras that I finally received from that thread here of a few weeks ago. This booklight is about 90% as bright but has better throw. It's a great bargain light and I had nothing else like it.
Comes in a variety of freakishly bright, transluscent colors.

Last edited:

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Book Light

My Dad hinted that he wanted a clip-type "Book light" (clip onto a book) for reading in bed while Ma is asleep when they were here watching the grandkids last week. Any good suggestions on where to go (saw some in Borders) or what kind to buy? I'd like to get him a long-running LED-type, but am open to more informed views. Please feel free to boot me if I am asking in the wrong spot. Respectfully, Frank

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Book Light

I use one of those Nichia-powered Garrity aluminum lights on a flexible "gooseneck" mount, like the ones that hold the order microphone in fast food joints.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Here's one we've discussed in the past. You can find it on other sites - but this is a pretty good price on it.

Don't stop here...check out Google & Epinions.com

BobbyRS

Enlightened

Walmart has one I like by GE. It is in the light bulb section of the store. It costs about $6-7 and comes in silver or black. It is pretty flat and opens up to a LED light that automatically comes on. Very nice brightness. Can't seem to find a picture or track the light down online. If I come across it, I will post again.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a Lightwedge from Amazon today. I am gonna try it out first. If I like it, I'll order another for Pa. Otherwise, I'll get him the flourescent one.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened

Well, I received the LightWedge yesterday and tried it out. I am not a real big fan of it, but will keep this one and order the Light Voyager Booklight for my Dad. The wedge is only one size and while it does the job, I think my Dad would appreciate the "traditional" kind.

Puppet

Newly Enlightened
Book light?

I realize this isn't the sexiest gadget in the world, but I need one. Can anyone recommend a good clip-on LED booklight? There seem to be a lot of them out there, and they're pretty cheap, but I was hoping for something with the right spill, a nice tint, as small as possible, and so on...

Thanks, y'all.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Re: Book light?

I went through the same search a few months ago and I was dissapointed in what was available. I ended up purchasing one from ebay that used 4xAA batteries to originally power a small incan, but had been modded by soldering two 5mm LEDs in series directly into the bulb socket. The output was a joke. The LEDs were being way underdriven (around 2mA), so I went to work on it.

I ended up with the LEDs in parallel and a fixed resistor and potentiometer in series with them to limit the current to about 20mA each with full adjustability downward. I used a wall wart for power since it allowed me to waste less energy through resistors (closer to Vf). If I had wanted to maintain portability and still have much better than as-received output, I would have taken one of the LEDs out and replaced it with an appropriately-valued resistor to run off of the batteries.

The host for this mod is small and light, but the clip could be more versatile, as it only opens to about an inch. The lights meant to clip directly to the book tend to be a hassle. Some get in the way when turning pages or can't flood both pages at once of any but the smallest books. It is mounted to the headboard of my bed and my wife uses it every night. I have wanted to replace the LEDs with warm white versions, but she won't let me touch it again! I paid less than $20 for it. Here is the auction # for one that is on ebay right now: 4466792135.

Seth

Newly Enlightened

Sigman said:
Here's one we've discussed in the past. You can find it on other sites - but this is a pretty good price on it.

Don't stop here...check out Google & Epinions.com
Funny...

The "light voyager" was recommend on CPF for years and years.

I have one myself, and I must admit this thing is great ! Runs for hours on rechargeables, gives just the right amount of light and it´s CCFL-tube will probably last forever.

Probably one of the most underestimated lights on CPF :)

Seth