More torch mods

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Based on my recently constructed Toshiba equipped orange BT2 I decided it was time to mod a superbright 4 LED 2D torch using some green LED's in the same series. I ended up abandoning the PR bulb drop-in as I found that I couldn't get the devices to fit through the torch's reflector. So I have fitted the LED's directly into the torch from the front.
The four LED's took a lot of lining up and the output isn't as good as one would expect from a 4 LED torch. I definitely think that the Toshiba green LED's are not as bright as thier orange counterparts, the colour being more like yellow than green. It gives an odd sort of beam which is adequate for normal torch use but nowhere near as good a performer as my 3-Cell 2 nichia torch or my BT2 for that matter.
I shall probably repeat the mod using some orange Toshiba LED's and a 2 cell version of the torch used in the 2 nichia mod.
Does anyone know a supplier of very high brightness non luxeon LED's in green suitable for 2 cell torches? Preferrably in the UK...
Matt.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Ahhh...I have realised my mistake! A look in the Maplin catalogue shows me the reason why my LED's aren't performing quite as well as the BT2's orange ones...though they are from the same series and share the same optics as the orange ones, thier rated millicandela is only 1600 instead of 8000! Reading through data on Craig Johnson's and Don Klipstein's web sites it would appear that green gallium Phosphide LED technology lags behind the other technologies at this time simply because InGaN is so much better and efficient for green. The disadvantage for us torch modders is that you cannot run InGaN on 2 cells unless you have some fancy electronics inside your torch.
I have actually field-tested the modded torch and although I was initially dissappointed in its output, the high visibility of its light meant that I ccould take it out night walking without too much difficulty; what it really lacks is long throw light which I was expecting from the Toshibas. You live and learn...