Some attempted beamshots of different LED lights.

InfidelCastro

Banned
These were some of my first attempted beamshots the other day. The camera is a 2 megapixel Kodak. It's not the best camera in the world, but the colors appear as in real life. It's good for showing colors.

I thought these might interest some other people so here we go:

Surefire E2L @ 30 lumens vs. Inova X1

x1vse2l.jpg

Fenix L2T on high using NimH Energizer 2500 rechargeables vs. Inova X1

x1vsl2t.jpg

Dorcy Super 1 Watt CR123A vs. Inova X1

x1vsdorcylightsoff.jpg

mdocod

Flashaholic
nice beam shots there!

I also use a relativally low-end camera for my beamshots.. If you use the manual settings for exposure time, combined with a tripod- you can get some really fantastic results with minimal equipment.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Yep, I used the default exposure time. I'm not even sure if it's adjustable. Only thing I did was turn off the flash. No tripod or anything, just held two lights in one hand and camera in the other.

rider

Newly Enlightened
Your X1 seems extraordinarily blue. Have you compared it to others to see if it seems atypical? Even the bluest of my X1s aren't that blue (even when comparing them side by side with extremely white sources).

Spordin

Enlightened
The Fenix looks pretty darn impressive, esp considering it's less than half the cost of the Surefire. Wouldn't be as bright using regular alkalines, but at least it can use them. Getting more interested...

InfidelCastro

Banned
rider said:
Your X1 seems extraordinarily blue. Have you compared it to others to see if it seems atypical? Even the bluest of my X1s aren't that blue (even when comparing them side by side with extremely white sources).

It seems to be the same as all the others I've tried. Which version of X1 do you have? The latest version uses Nichia leds.

Ging

Newly Enlightened
I have an old X1 and mine has a white center with a blue edge. Could the camera enhance the blue?

rider

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
It seems to be the same as all the others I've tried. Which version of X1 do you have? The latest version uses Nichia leds.

New version with the Nichias. I took the bluest one I had and shone it on the whitest surface I had available (large projection screen) and it did look almost as blue as yours. My others were quite a bit whiter, but appeared to be marginally dimmer as well.

Chao

Enlightened
Nice shots! L2T looks great with useful spill when compared with E2L. Thanks.