Light for caving?

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I'm looking for the right light for caving, and exploring old mines. I was out last weekend, and I found that for this purpose my EDC HDS U60XRGT was too floody. The walls around me were well lit, but it could not penetrate as far down the shaft as I would have liked. Of course, there were places I wanted to see but had no intention of actually walking to.

In such conditions (pitch black, often with daylight at my back but not illuminating the inside) what light would you recommend as ideal? I don't wish to use my HDS for the purpose any more. I have an SF A2 that I'll take along next time, and I'll bring my McLux 27LT too. I'm wondering if something insane like an HID AE Powerlight would be *too bright* for this task. Oftentimes the tunnels have standing water and wet walls, so glare could be a consideration.

Thanks for your opinions!

Last edited:

nc987

Enlightened
Hey Mikeymoto,

Good to see another spelunker in the northwest. Can I ask where you have been caving? Im going to the bat caves next weekend up here in bellingham and im looking for some more places to go. When I go caving my lights consist of a black diamond zenix headlamp and a few backups. Generally a E2L and a KL3 with a Inova X5 in my backpack. On this next excursion I will be using the KL3 on the 6P body in the head strap surefire makes.

I recommend both the KL3 and E2L for throw. I dont take my Lux V's down there as I am too paranoid about dropping them down a shaft.

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
nc987 said:
Can I ask where you have been caving?

So far my experience is rather limited. :whistle:
I've been to some of the mine adits from the Copper Bell and Red Cross mines in the Reiter area near Gold Bar, and to the Sunset Mine north of Index. I'm going back to the Sunset area when possible to explore the upper area. Apparently in one of the upper caverns there is a three-story wooden structure inside the cave. I'm pretty excited to see (and photograph) that on a future trip.

You don't need extreme brightness to see your way around you, so consider something with good runtime. Have THREE flashlights at least and one of them should last a whole day.

CanDo

Newly Enlightened
Maybe even one of those flashlights that you crank or shake, that use LED's. Strap it directly on to your person in case of a serious emergency (that may last days).

Don't hurt me for suggesting torches seen on informericals please :duck:

dlancello

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a SF L2 for all but extream long distance. The low power setting is plenty especialy while caving due to youre eyes being adjusted to very low light levels. 20 hrs of run time on low, and when the high is used it has a good (150 ft) throw.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny! I just went out mine exploring last week with my father! (Mojave desert.) Actually I've had great luck with a Thor Cyclops. It's bright, has a great floor-illumination pattern in low beam, cave-depth-penetrating power on high beam and while we're driving between caves/mines it recharges in the car.

We carry triple redundant lights... I usually take an M4 and 6P and my dad takes a C2 Turbohead and an E2E.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continue to take your HDS EDC with you and try to use an incandescent flashlight for distance throw. Which to use? Depends on how long you'll use it and how big you can afford it to be. A surefire G-2 with P60 lamp (stock lamp) should do sufficiently for $30. You probably only need it intermittently.

Jeff

CLHC

Flashaholic
How about using a headlight? The one that MSaxatilus recommended is a nice albiet PRICEY one! You can try checking out the PT APEX or EOS. Going back further even the PT Yukon, among others.

Enjoy!

nc987

Enlightened
Yes a headlamp is a must, you want to have both hands free when navigating. I only use my handheld flashlights when scouting ahead.
As mentioned earlier a extremely long running flashlight is a must. Thats why some of the dual output flashlights are great. I will have a SF L1 with me on my next excursion specifically for this purpose. If I dont have that in time I will take my U2. You never know what can happen down there. Extra batteries in a waterproof case are a must, I use my surefire SC1 and lastly if you plan on being down deep or for a extended amount of time, glow sticks are a good investment also. Be safe and use common sense, caving is fun but can be very dangerous.

nc987 said:
Yes a headlamp is a must, you want to have both hands free when navigating. I only use my handheld flashlights when scouting ahead.
As mentioned earlier a extremely long running flashlight is a must. Thats why some of the dual output flashlights are great. I will have a SF L1 with me on my next excursion specifically for this purpose. If I dont have that in time I will take my U2. You never know what can happen down there. Extra batteries in a waterproof case are a must, I use my surefire SC1 and lastly if you plan on being down deep or for a extended amount of time, glow sticks are a good investment also. Be safe and use common sense, caving is fun but can be very dangerous.

I use the Eveready 4AA headlamp for urban exploration. Using the stock bulb, you should get about 5-6 hours out of a set of fully charged NiMH batteries. It is reasonably bright and has adjustable focus like Maglite, but better beam pattern. The lack of top strap band is uncomfortable on bare head, but you should be wearing a hard hat anyways, so this light should work quite well.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/113248

jtice

Flashaholic
Sounds like the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon would be right for you.
I use it as my primary handheld light while caving.
It has good spill, and excellent throw, water tight, and runs off AA cells.

The UK 4AA LED lights are great for backup lights,
they are made well and also water tight, with good runtimes.

Oh and as mentioned above, the Stenlight of course :p

~John

CanDo

Newly Enlightened
Well, a while ago, I went on one of my first canoeing trips. I brought along my trusty minimag and was content with it. Then I realized that all of my friends had LED headlamps. For a week I struggled holding the light as I tied knots, prepared meals, dealed with maps, checked and grabbed equipment, fooled with a broken zipper, etc. Meanwhile All of my friends were surrounding by a bright blue glow and had no problem at all. So I thought about this, and for the next trip, I purchased a Minimag, headband, just something that the torch slips into giving you essentially a headlamp. Well, quite confidently, I went on another trip and was again hugely dissapointed. I didn't realize it at first since I was accostemed to holding the torch right next to my work, but it wasn't even close to as powerful as the LED's. :ohgeez:I had to get my face right into what I was doing to see, which after a while is quite a pain. Not to mention that while walking on unfamiliar trails and such, it didn't illuminate cracks and tricky roots that I could have hurt an ankle on way out in the middle of nowhere.
Even though the mini mag might have comparable throw at full battery (not saying it does, just that it's posible), the batteries go real fast, as opposed to LED headlamps which last FOREVER.

You HAVE to visit this site.... I mean what could be more perfect?
http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesGammes?Gamme=54
That is Petzl's selection of caving headlamps. Most of them have LED's for normal travel plus an incandescent for Throw. For a serious spelunker, I'd look no further.

However, I imagine that these are quite pricey. If you're just going casually, I highly recommend the petzl Tikka plus (4LED), which you can get fairly cheap (certainly a worthy investment anyway). I own one.
Produit_Image_463.jpg

If you want to talk about long burn times, On the low setting it lasts 150h, medium is 120 and high is 100h. The best part is that it uses three AAA's, so batteries are cheap. You could pack along a few sets of rechargeables no problem. For throw and information about all that, check out http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=463.
I haven't really done any spelunking, but with your eyes well adjusted to the dark, and moist walls, I'm fairly sure that this would provide an excellent light for crawling around. If someone would like a beamshot just let me know.

Of course, for real throw, you'll need a good torch. Hey, if you don't have any other gear to carry, you could bring along a big Maglite. I don't really know much about them, but I'm assuming that the big LED's would give a decent throw right? Also, I hear that they last FOREVER, and that since you'd only being using it in short intervals, loss of efficiency due to heat wouldn't be too big of a deal.

All in all, my list would be:
Headlamp, Probably the Tikka Plus, if more is needed, then so be it.
Surefire, Streamlight, (Pelican?) Incandescent for throw.
INOVA X5 or Streamlight Twin Task 2L as a backup.
Small, LED light that you shake to start, I got my hands on one (temporarily), and they are surprisingly sturdy. Just shake for a little bit and you have enough light to apply your first aid, or cut yourself lose from something.

To anyone who hasn't purchased a headlamp: DO IT. I thought they were a bit funny at first, but I haven't even thought of looking back since then.

P.S. Thoughts on this advice please? Partly for the sake of the visitor who may decide to follow it, partly for me :)

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
I would recomend the PT Yukon. Great output and long runtime on the three leds. Also had a focusable incan if you need a lot of throw.

lorenzolokibi

Newly Enlightened
For "urban caving" (I visit a lot of sewage funnels) I like a lot my Petzl Myo XP. It can stand a temporary submersion, with a good white and powerful lighting. It got a useful battery level sensor, the autonomy is great, and with the three level of power, you can adapt easily the lighting to your needs.
As a back-up, I take my trustfull Inova X5T white and the Nite-Ize headlamp adaptator. Never had a trouble with that combo.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i went caving a few weeks ago, and what you need is: runtime, throw, flood, and multiple levels. You turn on the high levels when you get into large cave "rooms" and the lower levels you use in small crawling space... personally, the U2 would be ideal.

-david