KL4 driver in a KL1 w/ reflector?

grnamin

Enlightened
Imagine this... KL4 driver board, transplanted into a 4th-gen KL1 with a Luxeon V and a McR20 reflector, UCL lens. Anyone game to try this? :D

grnamin

Enlightened
clarky said:
why not just put the McR in a KL4? Isn't it the same size?

The original reflector of the KL4 is built into one of the bezel sections, as far as I know. The KL1's optic is removable. You can drop in a McR20.

Sengoku

Enlightened
Ive done this mod a few months back, funny how someone would bring it up!
It started off as a KL1 UCL McR20 TXOH Lux3 FLuPIC mod, then i decided to mod another with BadBoy500, UCL, McR20 and WYOS luxV.
I dont have a L4 anymore but from memory and comparisan with other lights, results are a more runtime(draws 0.62A from 2xSF123 and 0.94 from 4.2v R123) less heat, more efficient heatsink imo, more defined hotspot, less flood because of the deeper, LOP reflector. only trade-off is slightly less brightness(500mA v 660mA?) but the very efficient and Bright! WYOS probs made the difference only by very little. But good thing is i get about 2hours of full brightness on 2 SF cells :)

grnamin

Enlightened
Thank you, Sengoku. Very nice! I missed your posting on this. Curious question... I noticed from the first picture that the original small copper(?) strips underneath the positive and negative leads of the LED are no longer there. Does HA III electrically isolate or are the leads just not contacting the heat sink?

Sengoku

Enlightened
The leads are not touching the heatsink but ive heard that the HAIII is also a good electrical insulator:)

Last edited:

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd certainly be interested in one of those modded KL4s, Sengoku. Dibs if you ever decide to let them go. Thanks. :sold:

Last edited: