AA-MAG Mod Needed

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I need someone to create a MOD will allow the use of a single 123 cell to be used on the AA-Mini Mag head.

I want to use this in combination with the Opalec LED MOD. Since the LED MOD is regulated, I'm assuming it will not be any brighter, but I'll have the advantage of having a smaller light to carry.

Any takers?

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working on just such a thing, but mine is an all-custom case. Darell sent me 2 Opalecs, one to keep and one to make into this kind of mod for him. I'll post pictures when I have it completed. Looks like it will be a couple of weeks yet. I'll figure out the price it wll cost once I've completed the piece for Darell.

It will use a 123 cell and the Opalec drop-in unit. Operation will be screw-on and off, and will have a tapped 1/4-20 hole in the flat bottom to allow for various mounting options, including an eye-bolt to take a key-ring/lanyard. Interested?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
After re-reading your post, it appears that you're not using the standard AA-MAG head. Any special reason you're not using that? I would think since the already available head, easily accepts the Opalec MOD, all you'd need is the compartment to accept the 123.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided that for maximum compactness, the light would need to be fully custom. Now Darell has seen the E1e-Newbeam conversion from Don., and want his to look like that...
smile.gif

Although I had not considered it, I could simply bore out the existing Maglite body for the 123 cell, and then shorten it as required. Naturally, the stock tailcap would not fit now, so I'd have to make a new one.
I'm not sure this would be much faster than the full custom, and then it would look like a really stubby Maglite - a bit silly since the head would be so much bigger than required...besides, I want to see what I can come up with.
smile.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry about that - I've been having pictures taken of all the mods I've been doing. Happily, I just got a digital camera today, so I can take my own pictures. UNhappily, my system is old enough that I'll have to upgrade it just to use the new camera...
frown.gif

Oh, well, life goes on. I'll be working on the upgrade, plus Darell's new toy (custom Opalec as above) in the next week or 2, so I wouldn't expect pictures of the new mod immediately. I'll keep you all posted.

Darell

Flashaholic
Take your time, Doug. You've got three weeks minimum. I'd hate for everybody ELSE to see my light before I do!

And as for the price - charge anything you want - provided it's more than the cost of an Opalec!
grin.gif