A2 filter

dyyys1

Enlightened
Where could I find a red filter that is made to fit a SF A2? I would prefer it if the filter could flip up and down. I normally use a white beam, so I am buying it with white LED's. However, sometimes I like to use a red beam because it doesn't carry very far or spoil my night vision. Thanks for your help!

iamerror

Enlightened
There was a thread a while back about the A2 started by leukos. He mentioned the older syle E-series flip-up filters fit the A2; they might be hard to find because they are no longer being made. He also mentioned a similar style filter made by a company called Bushwacker; apparently these can be found at quakeinc.com

batman

Enlightened
quakeinc.com is right. Order size 1 for the filter, it will work perfectly. However, the filter almost makes your LED output zero. It's less than the output of a miniature LED keyring light (the type that runs on a micro watch battery)...but when you hit the incan mode you get a great light. it's usable,effective, great for all those military uses, etc.
I'm thinking about buying another A2 in red LED just for those purposes however i'm hesitatnt because the red LEDs aren't as bright or diffused as the white LEDs.
I love my A2 with white LEDs...best & brightest flashlight I've ever owned. Last night went out to the coutnry and went prowling around under the moonlight. AWESOME! The A2 really did a good job of lighting up distant horses and dogs..It was kinda creapy though as I was able to see the glowing eyes running along the ground before the light was actually able to illuminate the creatures themselves. (I kept wonering if it was jack nicholson)At one point i was bitten in the neck by an unidentified flying insect- as I smashed it against my neck I inadvertantly sent the A2 flying. It struck the ground hard with the incan on after 10 minutes of contniual use - no damage. Praise be to paul kim.
Now all I need is an M6 or mini-beast to and I"m done buying flashlights.(i subscribe to the less is more ideology).

carrot

Flashaholic
Just so you know, Surefire's older style 1" flip-up beamfilters were made by QuakeInc. (Unless I'm completely remembering this wrong...)

batman

Enlightened
from what i hear that is true also. it seems to be made for the light but it does cut out some of the spill and flood of the beam even when the filter is flipped up.
Carrot, if you don't mind - what color is your A2 LED? I think I may go with Yellow-Green instead of red after reading flashlightreviews . com. If the red LED is brighter than yellow green I'll stick with red.

dyyys1

Enlightened
batman, be sure to also read the flashlightreviews article about night vision before you decide between red and YG. YG uses more "cones" in your eye, but red is very advantageous at night for several reasons.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have white LEDs, but if I were going to get another, (unless something suddenly changed and I *needed* something that wouldn't disrupt night adapted vision), I'd get the YG one.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the BLUE led's, they are awesome.

Much more throw than the Yellow/Green I had.

My .02 cents

HCaul

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pointer to Quake! I just ordered a couple
of filters from them.

BTW, I was glad to find the inexpensive filters in unusual sizes,
but I was rather put off by their ordering page. In addition
to the usual name, address, telephone number, credit card, etc,
they require you to enter your DATE OF BIRTH. That's a great boon
for the identity thief who breaks into their server and gets a database
not only of names and credit cards, but dates of birth, too.

Anyway, I was born Feb 29th, 1900, in case anyone was wondering...

HCaul

batman

Enlightened
right on, and thanks carrot and for the pointer to flashlight reviews.com for the LED color literature. I'll stick to white LEDs. Peace out!

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those needing various sizes and colors of Bushwacker filters try here: Midsouth

Great people and service and much cheaper than Quake direct.

Mark

dirtie

Newly Enlightened
hey to all..another newbie here ,are a2's considered "combat lites"?.i 'd like to buy one but need lotsa lite for that use.i have a e2 executive /sf @ 65 lumens.its the least for me. what do ya think?

dirtie

carrot

Flashaholic
dirtie said:
hey to all..another newbie here ,are a2's considered "combat lites"?.i 'd like to buy one but need lotsa lite for that use.i have a e2 executive /sf @ 65 lumens.its the least for me. what do ya think?

The A2 puts out enough light for tactical usage, yes -- 79 lumens, but its dual stage feature may be a hinderance or disadvantage in a combat situation, imho. Perhaps your needs would be better suited by a C2 or M2?