Surefire G2... What am I missing

cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
just got my G2.

What am I missing here ? is the OFF position a partially unscrewed cap ?

I can't believe that, it seems so illogical. I mean for keeping dirt/water
out etc.

So to turn it on, the back cap is turned all the way in, to turn it off you
partially unscrew it ?
So besides getting water/dirt in there what prevents the cap from coming
completely unscrewed ?

I have to be missing something.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing will keep the dirt/water off the threads, regardless of how tight the cap is screwed on, the washer inside (deeper inside)will prevent that dirt from getting into the light where it could do damage opposed to just being a nuisance. Your cap won't just unthread it's self, mine has taken trips in the glove box, rattled around on the bottom of the boat for a weekend and all kind of other forms of abuse, it hasn't so much as budged.
You don't have to unscrew the cap all the way off to prevent the light from coming on, just enough that the momentary switch will no longer activate the light (it's not nessasary to do that) However, the cap will remain waterproof almost to the point it falls off, just have a look inside.. You may want to consider some lube too, cheap and it keeps things working smooth. lube
All my lights get worked hard, but I still enjoy tearing them down for a cleaning and lube.
I put a cheap washer in the groove in mine between the cap and switch, it locks the cap on a bit tighter and helps keep the junk off the threads, no to mention how much nicer the light looks without that gap.. It keeps the cap snug in the locked out position as well as providing an extra barrier from pocket debris.
I have an extra one, if you want it shoot me your address and I will send it to you.

PICT0373.jpg

Last edited:

cowboy

Newly Enlightened
WOW

that just seems odd to me.

So besides the dirt issue, what prevents the cap from unscrewing off
completely ?
I mean if you carry in your pocket or something where there is constant
movement ..... it seems like it could come off.
Don't know if the G2 has a slot for a lanyard, but the Inova X1 does, and
its the same design, so I'm thinking especially with the lanyard attached to
the cap its more likely to unscrew.

It just seems *** backwards, I would want things tight and secure when not in use, then loosen it when I'm actually using it ??

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Cowboy - welcome to the strange world of "high end / medium end" flashlights. There is quite a cult following related to "twist the cap to on / off " type switching, and it is effective at saving space. Personally, I don't like it at all, but that is a personal preference, and I am clearly in the minority.

The "seal" concept is based on the O rings being located in the side wall, so they are more of a "wiper / splash" seal design, not "deep water" usage. You are correct about the grit.

Just to show how little I like that approach (once again, just personal preference), have a look at the light project in my signature - it uses a full mil spec rotary seal switch - and that switch is still only rated to 10 meters. To put it in perspective, that G2 is about a $ 30 flashlight, and is a nice one. I have about $ 15 my COST in the switch alone in my light, not to mention other aspects of installing it.

Every light has its trade offs, including my light. The batteries on your G2 are a lot easier to change than on mine for the same reason - sealing approach.

You will find that when it is time to replace the bulb (which is quite a while for most people) that it is almost cheaper to buy a new flashlight, so I would not worry about wear too much.

Welcome to CPF.

cowboy

Newly Enlightened
The water/dirt concern was only mentioned in general terms.

I think the biggest issue is it coming completly unscrewed.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire has been making lights with these switches since around 1990 or so, and I've never heard of any trouble unscrewing or getting dirt in them. Never had any trouble with mine. The switch itself is so simple there's nothing to break. It's a very elegant design. SF also rates them to 30 feet underwater, although that may be in the "on" position.

Mag-Lite and old Streamlight heads also screw off and on and I've heard of very few cases of problems with those.

SCblur

Enlightened
I have a ton of Surefires, and I always carry one with me. I have put them through all sorts of use, and I have never had issues with the tailcap coming off. I admit, when I first started buying high-end lights, I was shocked at the "low-tech" twistie switches, but I have learned to appreciate their elegant simplicity (or in the case of two-stage lights like the A2, their elegant complexity). I don't think you'll have any of the problems with your G2 that you're worried about.

Welcome to CPF

cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Well I just unpacked it, so time will tell, it just seemed counter intuitive.

I mean I did unscrew it completely, just to see if in fact it would come off
(thoght maybe it would have some stop point or something) but obviously it did come off, I'm assuming thats how you get the batteries in there.

Oh well I'll trust your input.
Just seems like eventually, murphy's law, it would unscew.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did find once that the tailcap had almost unscrewed itself when carried bezel down in an open holster. The cap had rubbed against some surface (me?) and was on the point of coming off and falling to the floor, no doubt lost forever.

Someone on CPF posted that I should get an additional O-ring and put that next to the existing one to increase friction (there is room for two on the tube) and alleviate the problem. I haven't tried this as I: A. couldn't locate another O-ring easily and: B. I wanted a clickie, which I bought from lighthound, ( A Z49 @ $34.99) which is superb,but almost doubles the cost of the light!!)

It's a cheap torch but with fantastic output and performance from a much more expensive light -you pays your money...etc.

Incidentally the G2 tailcap fits much better on my C2 body, without any problems unscrewing at all.

Good luck...

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a problem with a tailcap coming unscrewed on any light, SF or otherwise.
Nyctophiliac said:
Someone on CPF posted that I should get an additional O-ring and put that next to the existing one to increase friction (there is room for two on the tube) and alleviate the problem. I haven't tried this as I: A. couldn't locate another O-ring easily and: B. I wanted a clickie, which I bought from lighthound, ( A Z49 @ $34.99) which is superb,but almost doubles the cost of the light!!)
Lighthound has O rings for Surefires, and the one you're talking about is the first listed on the O-rings for flashlights page-though there's a note that it may not work well with the G2/G2Z for some reason. It won't increase friction a whole lot after it gets broken in on the aluminum models I've used it in, especially if you lube it(if not it will be stiff for a little while) but it will give an added level of protection/waterproofness, I suppose. I do it on all mine for the heck of it, since it can't hurt.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is a balance between being able to quickly and easily rotate the TailCap when required, and having it stay in the position you need it to the rest of the time. Secondary to the majority of users is the water-tightness of the o-ring seal(s). However, this is critical in DiveLight and lights you intend to submerge or ones which will highly likely be submerged at some point.

Adding a second o-ring does improve the ability to rotate the TailCap underwater and the flashlight not flood/leak. Additionally, it should make it more difficult to rotate the TailCap. Something that is useful if you are finding it is being rotated during storage or carry in your instance.

I suggest that you do not add a second o-ring to your G2 unless you are finding the TailCap is rotating too easily when you carry it etc.

Please let us know how you get on and what you think of your G2 once you have used it for a while...

Al :)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cowboy-

If you're that worried about the tailcap coming off, just carry a second light that you trust until the G2 has proven itself.

Cheers, and welcome to the forum. :buddies:

magic79

Enlightened
Yes, I'm not all that fond of "Twisties" either, although the Surefire L2 is one of my favorites.

For your (inevitable) next light, I would suggest you try one with a "Clickie" switch for comparision. In Surefire there are quite a number, but the L4 might be interesting since it is also an LED. Golston makes an inexpensive, very bright LED with a clickie. There are many...my favorite switch interface is the HDS EDC models.

Despite my preference, I would say it is extremely unlikely that the G2 will ever inadvertantly unscrew itself. Keep it unscrewed to the position that it just turns off.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
cowboy said:
Well I just unpacked it, so time will tell, it just seemed counter intuitive.

I mean I did unscrew it completely, just to see if in fact it would come off
(thoght maybe it would have some stop point or something) but obviously it did come off, I'm assuming thats how you get the batteries in there.

Oh well I'll trust your input.
Just seems like eventually, murphy's law, it would unscew.

In 15 or 16 years of carrying Surefires it's never happened to me, nor have I ever heard it happen to anyone either here or on Surefire's own forum(before they dropped it)