L1T + Cr3v = Mini L2T ?

Seb

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,
I've been reading in this forum for quite a while now but tried to resist posting because of the effects of similar forums (bladeforums) on my wallet :whistle: but the subject has become just too interesting over the past few month. So I'll just repeat in my head "nobody needs more than three flashlights" while posting and I hope I will be safe from poverty (again). :grin2:
Please bear with any language faults as english is not my native language.

So much for introduction, now more on topic:

If one of the 3V AA sized batteries that can be extracted from some CRV3 batteries are used in the Fenix L1T, that would give the output characteristics of the Fenix L2T, wouldn't it? Of course the runtime would drop significantly and running costs would rise but the bigger difference between high and low settings might make it useful in more scenarios.
Anybody tried this so far?
Does anybody have any numbers about the Wh of the CRV3 batteries to estimate runtime?

Seb

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know anything about Cr3v batteries, but I know SAFT makes lithium primary 3.6V AAs (more properly known as 14500 cells). I don't know how these would perform though, since not all lithium batteries are made to power high drain devices like our flashlights. It's quite possible that they won't be able to pump out the required amperage (meaning the light would be dimmer than expected, although it would probably last a long time). It's also possible that the higher-than-normal voltage would cause the L1T/L2T to not function properly on low mode and not be regulated on high (which is what 14500 lithium ion rechargables cause it to do).

I honestly don't know what these batteries would do (although I have to admit I'm a bit curious), or that it'd even be worth the bother. The batterystation ones are $4, and the more expensive ones are $7 (I have no idea what the differences are), which is way more than any of us would likely care to use, even if they perform well.

Your english is just fine, by the way. Better than a lot of native speakers.

chanamasala

Enlightened
I use the CRV3 3v AAs in my L1T. The high low function works fine. It is definately brighter than on 1.5v batteries. I do recommend that you remove all the metal from the top of the peeled-out 3v AA as it will scrap the battery contact otherwise.

Last edited:

Seb

Newly Enlightened
Did you notice the low to be higher than with alkalines/Nimh as seen on the runtime graphs with 2 fresh lithiums/alkalines in the L2T?

Can you already say something about runtime in comparision with 1.5V lithiums for example?