In Praise of Multilevels

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always been an incan man at heart. I love the brilliant white beams. I'm old school, I don't mind the dimming output and having to carry spare lamps. I do have numerous LED based lights and I am particularly fond of my L2 (its the perfect camping light). I recently got a HDS B42XRGT. The 4 levels are pretty darn useful. I thought one only needed 2 levels. The 2 lowest settings on my B42 are pretty cool. They make moving around a dark house easy and don't tend to wake people up like my L2 does on low.

Change is good! I hate to admit it, but my B42 may be my grab and go light from now on...

Last edited:

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
I agree, and I bought two of the CPF Multilevel lights which have roughly sixteen levels! the dimmest is so low that you actually have to press your eye directly against the glass and stare at the emitter to see that it is on - it would probably run for a year at this tiny output. The following levels are extremely low and would allow you to find close objects in total darkness without any possibility of being noticed from more than a few feet away. The levels then progress up through good levels for reading in the dark, checking on the baby, or lighting your way indoors without disturbing anyone. The next levels are progressively brighter, until you max out ot the full 4w output, which is very bright and probably qualifies as "tactical" level output.

It is larger than your HDS B42XRGT as it is a 2 cell light, but is also brighter, and is only the size of a minimag, and can be bought for about $60. Good deal!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only time I experienced multi-levels was a dimming incan. ;) With the HDS, being able to get to anotehr level without tired batt's is a joy in practise. :twothumbs

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love to "blast" with my U2 but have found the lower levels useful lately when naving to the b-room etc.

Guess I'm finally maturing as a CPF'er :)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the "navigating to the b-room" makes a good excuse for multi-level lights and I think multi-level capability is good to have - and doesn't really need justification - but REALLY...

I have one of the $4 arc AAA clones by the bed. Takes care of the N2B role just great. Makes deciding what to do with other flashlights at bedtime much easier..

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with most of the above but I usually come at it from the dim side. I only have three EDIT: Ooops, four variable output lights but I really like them. I've EDCed my HDS B60 for over a year (including six weeks with the power out after Katrina) and I'm still on the original cell. That really rocks! I nearly always use the dimmer levels but it's always very comforting to know that a much brighter output is right there with me, waiting, just a click or two away. It's great to have those options with virtually no runtime, size or weight penalty good to go all the time. To me, there is no doubt that multilevel lights are the best of both worlds.

While this shouldn't be taken as a complaint, I think that we'll see some vastly improved UIs in the next 20 years. IMO the options that the lights are capable of are still better than some of the UIs we use to control them.

Last edited:

Ging

Newly Enlightened
I only have one multi level light (and that only has 2 levels) my Orb Raw and it rocks! I like the look of the SF U2 but it is very expensive and I am a poor student...:awman:

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened
I like the multilevels as well, usually because I like a low level for really close work or where my eyes have night adjusted and then having the luxury of a high level for general use.

I have a SF L1 that really works well for close work at the low level but it is just a little too big for EDC so it usually sits in my bag and is my backup light or is brought out when I need to do close work. The SF L1 could also be a little brighter at the high level (22 lumens) although it is brighter than my EDC.

Currently I am thinking about (heck, I'm not thinking, I'm planning) replacing my EDC, a Fenix L2P on a L1P body, with a compact multilevel light which has a high setting that is brighter than the Fenix. Probably have to sell the Fenix to maintain my "two torch" policy when this happens. :)

frisco

Enlightened
Has anyone ever come up with an infinitely variable stepless multilevel LED flashlight?

Maybe Gatlight the only one?

Seems like when a circuit like that becomes common allot of people will be happy.

Click on/off tactical tailswitch with a rotating bezel to adjust output !!!

frisco

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I always say, my venerable old workhorse ARC +4 is with me day to day. It only has the three levels without reprogramming, but they take care of all eventualities.

Last night was a hot night in downtown London. The lights were off, the radio's on, the french windows to our balcony were open. I was reading using the lowest setting. Finding my way to bathroom on the next. And lighting up the trees outside, and spotting the bat that flys around there, with the high beam.

God it was ahead of its time!! :rock:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first experience with a dual level light was a Streamlight Twin Task 2L. The LED and incan settings. There are enough mods for dual level outputs and one is the Aleph system adaptable also to the SF E series with KL1 head.

The multi-click in the HDS is nice but sometimes, I wonder if a twist system with a pot could be integrated. (?) I image we'll see new UI's in the coming years. No complaints with the HDS.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, as the OP posted, I'm an incandescent guy as well, but my U60xrgt has become my EDC and go-to light as well. The lowest levels and programmability are what really make this light. :thumbsup:

Robban

Enlightened
I have a couple of multilevel lights but I find myself always going for the highest output. I never use a low output light to find my way to the bathroom. That's one thing I've never understood. This is my home, I know where the toilet is even if it's pitch black. I very very rarely even turn on the lights in my apartment at night because I just don't need them.

That being said you can't argue the usefullness of having a low output level to conserve battery power for power outages and such (not that we really have any, but it's nice to have the option :) ).

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer 2level lights.

When the low-level setting is at the right point it's perfect for my uses.

I don't like it to click different levels to find the right one.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
frisco said:
Has anyone ever come up with an infinitely variable stepless multilevel LED flashlight?
I wanted the same thing until I read Henry's, LED Flashlight White Paper, on the HDS site. He makes a very strong case for stepped control, based on the fact that your eyes adjust to the brighter level when you increase the output but when you try to return the light to the previous, dimmer level your less dark adapted eye stops the adjustment at a brighter level because it looks the same.

I have one continously adjustable light -- the Rigel Starlight mini -- and my experience with it would seem to bear out Henry's assertions about lights with stepped output control having longer runtimes.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a variable brightness light, but have experienced the "light creep" effect even with a four level light. You have perfectly adequate light for the task but then you want to look down a deep pit so you crank it up. Then you go back to your regular caving and turn down the light back to wear it was. Dang now it seems really dim.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will definately see more advanced UIs. Why? Well the marketing people call it "value added". This occurs when they add a feature which allows them to raise the price considerable more than what is warrented by the slight increase in the cost of manufacturing. :p

I'm surprised more manufactures haven't jumped on this while its still hot. Surefire sure understands multilevels are worth a premium. It's also nice when companies like Fenix don't have a huge increase for an extra level.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I love multi-level lights :)
I'll post here because I've been considering it for a while. Take $10 off the regular price of the CPF multi level light, sort of a back door coupon :D. (see link in sig line) Mention this thread in your paypal.
I have to make room for the least expensive and one of the earliest multi levels in a CPF edition--MORE DETAILS IN JULY?AUGUST?

billgr

Newly Enlightened
i've pretty much stopped buying anything that is NOT multi level.

just got wits end CPF 3W special. WOW, is this a functional light!!

great tint, sidespill and 12 really useful levels of light!

nice and small too. thanks wits end :)