Baby with third arm!

dragoman

Enlightened
Cool.....if I had that I could hold 3 beers at a time rather than 2.......hmmmm, beer.......

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The world is SOOOO concerned with "normal" that anything out of the ordinary is viewed as ugly or a "mistake". He WAS healthy BEFORE the sergury, and I feel he should have been left the was GOD made him.

Jeff

magic79

Enlightened
WildRice said:
The world is SOOOO concerned with "normal" that anything out of the ordinary is viewed as ugly or a "mistake".

The world is HUGELY more accepting of things like this than they used to be. It wasn't long ago when many societies would have killed him for the defect.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
God made me with feet pointing the wrong direction, but I'm glad the doctor had his own opinion. Some things just come out wrong.

The previous articles about this baby seemed to indicate that the lower arm didn't move on its own properly and felt pain when touched. If it ain't working right and just messes up finding shirts that fit, I'd take it off it was my 3rd arm.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
He might have grown up ok physically but imagine the emotional torment he would have faced with a third arm. Yes, adults are more accepting these days, but kids are not. He has a much better chance of growing up to be a well adjusted adult this way.

BTW I've read that neither of his left arms were formed properly. He's still going to have issues with his left hand for the rest of his life.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
ABTOMAT said:
God made me with feet pointing the wrong direction, but I'm glad the doctor had his own opinion. Somethings things just come out wrong.

The previous articles about this baby seemed to indicate that the lower arm didn't move on its own properly and felt pain when touched. If it ain't working right and just messes up finding shirts that fit, I'd rather take it off it I had a 3rd arm.

Word.

LaserFreak

Enlightened
If there was pain and discomfort than I can see the reason for removing it. Otherwise, if there was no pain or problems with control than it should be left alone. Then again if it's a contol issue, might it be entirely possible that the child could learn how to control it? It's kinda odd that this article didn't say WHY they removed his 3rd arm.

I think it might be handy to have a 3rd arm.....

Last edited:

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw a short quip on this baby. They said both left arms had developed circulatory and nervous systems, but didnt mention pain or functionally. Aparantally the front arm was the one they removed. The remaining arm has no palm and it bends in both directions. I agree with LaserFreak in that if it was painful or caused discomfort, it very well could lead to problems later in life.

Everyone is different. I was just thinking, imagine just hiding the front arm inside your shirt, and having it poke out your collar to itch your nose:huh::thinking::wtf::faint:.

Jeff

Empath

Flashaholic
WildRice said:
The world is SOOOO concerned with "normal" that anything out of the ordinary is viewed as ugly or a "mistake". He WAS healthy BEFORE the sergury, and I feel he should have been left the was GOD made him.

I doubt that the dictates of the world was involved. I'd think this was between the doctors and the child's parents; as it should be. Our opinions on it have no relevant merit.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath, Of course it comes down to the decision of the parents. And we are all making conclusions on incomplete information.
Jeff

Also, when I said "world" I ment people in general.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Wow, if he had grown up to be a professional bowler, he would have been able to get the 7-10 split every time...and still have a third arm for balance.

Haz

Enlightened
In my opinion, I think it's better to remove it, because the child may have problems blending in with the community as he grows up. Kids often get teased for small things, such as height, weight, wearing glasses, pimples etc, so something as significant as an extra arm, may gain much more unnecessary attention. Although one can say in any religion to leave it there, whether it's given by God, or as a result of Karma. I guess at the end of the day, one must make the choice, assuming that they were that person. If I was the child growing up with an extra arm, i will definately want my extra arm be removed, so that i will live a 'normal' life. Perhaps it's God's Will or perhaps bad deeds in past life, however if you were the person, will you feel comfortable living the life with an extra arm knowing that the reason is that you were born with it, or remove it given the advance technology today, and face the consequences in after death. I wouldn't want the attention, or be paraded in circuses, even though the idea of having an extra arm may be handy at times. The reality is that although we are much more tolerable society than we were in the past. It's pretty much for human nature to look/tease/joke at things that are unusual, and there will be difficulties living a normal life which such a rare anomaly.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
all I can say is thanks for posting this. Is this one of those mormon kids?? That would be rad if you could actually use the arm.