Hey LEO's, is the PIT really that good?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it on tv, but doesnt it damage a patrol car and risk the other car or truck wrecking into something on either side of the street or flipping over? Then you get a few drivers who are quick on their feet and just correct for it.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks dca2, I have seen that before, just didn't know it was labled the PIT.

I guess it would and does work on most cars, whether or not I call it "good" is another thing. Lots of safety issues there.
I doubt the normal cruiser could use that against my truck, but than again they will never have the need to on me. :)

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
We practiced it a couple of times on the driving range. It was fun to do, but I think it would be hard to do "in the wild."

It should work better against a pickup truck because of the lighter rear ends.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ras_Thavas said:
It should work better against a pickup truck because of the lighter rear ends.

That might be true, I didn't think of it that way. I was thinking more about the total weight (in my case, 6,300lbs. empty) and that it would be harder to push around.

Good point

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
To do the procedure properly we are supposed to use the front quarter panel and place it close to the rear of the car being chased, right near the rear tire. You then turn into the vehicle causing the rear of the vehicle to break traction. Once it starts to break you turn back straight and if done right you end up with the front of the police car blocking the drivers door of the pursued car.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
My state and dept don't allow it, and therefore it is not taught in the academy...such a shame, I would love to use it on someone :grin2:

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if it would be harder to do against an AWD vehicle, especially if the fleeing driver accelerated as the manouver is initiated?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the cost of it has something to do with it?
A $30K car, potential disability pay to the pursuing officer, potential civil liability to the driver/passengers of pursued vehicle, potential civil liabilities to citizens on the street?

Looks good on TV though ;)

RemingtonBPD said:
My state and dept don't allow it, and therefore it is not taught in the academy...such a shame, I would love to use it on someone :grin2:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
markdi said:
caltrop ?

...snip...
I want some

Easy enough to make - particularly if you are NOT worries about them being hollow. 2 nails, bend to 120 degs, tack weld or brase the center joint - they nest quite well, and you can carry a LOT of them in a small place. Every once in a while, I'll mutter about wishing for some with "roadrage" drivers here in the city.

BTW the reason they are designed like they are is they will ALWAYS land point up

RE the OSS reference at that site:

Dad was in the OSS Operational Group (aka the part that was NOT the spys, but the part that became the special forces). He did NOT go in with his team due to breaking his ankle (badly) in parachute training. Lead to him being put in the 10th Mtn "recon troop" - aka the last horse troops in the US Army - at least until we put some special foces on horseback in Afganistan

dca2

Enlightened
Never thought about carrying caltrops BUT I am very close to keeping a plastic cup filled with pea gravel for the butts that follow so #!$&*@% close in my neighborhood where the speed limit is already 35mph:rant: .........What a difference 37 years and 4 kids make :sweat:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
PIT doesn't work well on AWD (all wheel drive) cars. If the police are in a chase with a fast AWD car they're going to need a lot of backup to get it stopped.