Nuwai

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are Nuwai Lights reliable. Do they get good hype? Are they surefire bright? inova bright? What do you flashaholics think of these lights. They look Pretty Nice to me!

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found some Good lights like the Q3. Do they put out blinding output? Also was looking at the LuxV lights, why are they so cheap there has to be a catch

berto

Newly Enlightened
yes their lights are really bright and pretty good quality. The reason they are so cheap is because they are made in china.By the way the Q3 is an awsome light.

carrot

Flashaholic
What I've seen of Nuwai personally so far leads me to the conclusion that they are cheap and generally a good value for the money. Especially the ones relabeled as "River Rock" by Target.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I dont believe I have ever heard a bad thing about a QIII from anyone.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nuwai's beam has a large spot, with bright spill. Decent throw too... not a "throw monster though." Some beamshots are on my sig line.

-David

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's about the same as the Dorcy CR123 1W, but the Dorcy is much whiter and at least $10 cheaper.

cheapo said:
The nuwai's beam has a large spot, with bright spill. Decent throw too... not a "throw monster though." Some beamshots are on my sig line.

-David

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I love my Q3! It was pretty bright as-is, but I've replaced the stock lens with a UCL lens (more output), swapped the Luxeon (lower Vf, longer output when the batteries get weak) and I'm using a rechargeable RCR123 instead of the stock CR123. The rechargeable has a higher voltage and it overdrives the LED to produce a phenomenal amount of light for it's size.

Of course I've already cooked one regulator board with the RCR123. :eek:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my modded Q3, it's one of my EDCs. It was also the perfect camping light when on a lanyard, and having a 2 stage tailcap. Only went through 1 RCR123 the whole trip.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw the beamshots, the beam of the Q3 is not that Perfect and it looks like it throws about the same as the Minimag. It has the same output as the Dorcy Super 1 Watt? My brother has one and it seems "Ok" in terms of brightness? If the Q3 is the same ill pass. THanks for all the replies.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the shot of the upstair hallway really got lit up by the Q3. Seems Bright. But still the beam and the throw is a concern of mine.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
the beam should be pretty smooth as it uses a orange peel reflector. there might be "imperfections" on the edges from the crenellations on the bezel, but then again you'll get that with any light with crenellations on the bezel.

the pluses of the QIII is that it's a decent little light with a standard (not reverse) clicky. it can be easily modified/upgraded with better windows/lenses, two-stage, etc. this light was still all the rage as i first joined CPF in late 2005. the earlier versions had R & S-bin LuxIIIs, etc, but the more recent have T bins. the most recent incarnation i saw was Litemania's flupic-modded HAIII QIII.

it's minuses is that its heatsinking could be better, and that's why Viren has his copper heatsinks (though might be sold out) although someone posted a simple mod using pennies. also it might just be getting a bit long in the tooth--if you want a simple, well-regulated CR123 light, maybe the Fenix P1 might perhaps be better...

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I ordered a L2T, but the P1 is Rated at 55 Lumens also and cheap. Another Question why are fenixe's so cheap. Is it because they are made in china too? Thanks for the Help.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
The biggest problems with the Q3 are that it uses a reverse-clickie switch (no momentary), is very inefficient (short runtime for its brightness), and is type II anodized (scratches easily).

Other lights in the same performance class include the E1L, Peak Caribbean and Peak Mediterranean. All of these lights cost twice as much as the QIII but are of much higher quality. However, if you're using non-rechargable cells, the Peaks will save you money in the long run because they're far more efficient.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I bought one of http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_5w_alx-253l.htm these and am very happy with it- even though I lost the luxeon lottery (green tint) and it does have a bit of a donut in the beam- which I expected based on the review..

you can see it compared to many other lights in a hallway beamshot shootout I did over in this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/119031

only thing I wish it had is a tailcap click rather than the side-body click.. (have to fumble around in the dark to find the button when it is located on the side)..

Nuwai lights are great performers at a very reasonable price.. if you look at that review- and compare the overall output figures to some Surefire LEDs- you'll see Nuwai has some luxVs that are performing in the same leage as a Surefire.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q3 was EDC of the moment pre Fenix L1P on this forum, it seems. That said many have come since arguably with improved features. But I think the Q3 still has a lot to offer the commited flashaholic (and the Titanium one is an absolute dream!!! - Good for presents too.).
We like this torch...and mine is way brighter than my Dorcy super 1W CR123...so there!

Be lucky...

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeap, the fenix(s) are made in china ,so that the production cost will be low.
and having such nice dealer here makes it better.