Uveitis ? Medical Advice needed

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came across an article on msn about arthridas effecting the eyes. From what the article read, looks like it can effect the iris, the membrane between the world and the cornia the retinal and cornia too.

Then, I came across this, "Pars planitis is often treated with steroid eye drops, but may be treated with oral steroids or another type of medication to suppress the immune system." WHAT???? Oral Steroids can help??? Ive taken oral steroids.

Further I found, "More on the eyes and arthridas

What are the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis?

The main symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis are pain, stiffness, and swelling in the joints of the hands, wrists, elbows, feet, ankles, knees, or neck. Rheumatoid arthritis usually affects both sides of the body at the same time. In rare but severe cases, rheumatoid arthritis may affect the eyes, lungs, heart, nerves, or blood vessels. See an illustration of the most commonly affected joints.

Uveitis
Uveitis is an inflammation, or swelling and tenderness, of the middle layer of the eye. This area includes the colored part of the eye (iris), muscles, and blood vessels.

Uveitis may develop in people who have:

Other diseases that cause chronic inflammation, such as rheumatoid arthritis or inflammatory bowel disease.A herpes infection that affects the eye. Advanced-stage cataracts that leak fluid into the front
(anterior) chamber of the eye. However, most cataracts are treated before uveitis develops.

Iritis and iridocyclitis are other terms that refer to inflammation of the middle layer of the eye.

Treatment for uveitis depends on its cause."

I am going to run this by my doc and ask to try a sample mid pill to reduce my immune system. A few drugs do this for allgeries and organ transplants.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn'r say whether you have arthritis (diagnosed by a doctor). Do you have it? What makes you think it's affecting your eyes? Be very careful about self-diagnosis, since many symptoms overlap with other illnesses.

Oral steroids can have some devastating side effects. Someone very dear to me has developed an illness called avascular necrosis (her bones are dying and decaying) as a result of steroids prescribed by a doctor. So far she's had both shoulders and both hips replaced with artificial joints, and that's just the beginning. It gets far worse.

If you have concerns about your health, definitely see a doctor. But be very careful what you ask for.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have arthridas, the jouvernal one and a muscular disease. I also have or had vision problems too.

This is why this caught my eye. Not to mention I got out of the wheelchair, improved my vision with taking supplements including anabolic steroids.

I faxed it to my doc who is unable to see unless I make an appointment and heard nothing back.

My vision has relapsed twice this year since my new glasses and I dont want it to happen or find out how to keep it undercontrol. When it flips to the low beam mode as I call it, things seem darker, I feel like I need to wear sun glasses or a baseball hat or place my hand over the top of my eyes. Everything is less quality in detail. Its like driving at night on a dark road and going from high to low beams and back.

Dawg

Enlightened
cobb said:
I do have arthridas, the jouvernal one and a muscular disease. I also have or had vision problems too.

This is why this caught my eye. Not to mention I got out of the wheelchair, improved my vision with taking supplements including anabolic steroids.

I faxed it to my doc who is unable to see unless I make an appointment and heard nothing back.

My vision has relapsed twice this year since my new glasses and I dont want it to happen or find out how to keep it undercontrol. When it flips to the low beam mode as I call it, things seem darker, I feel like I need to wear sun glasses or a baseball hat or place my hand over the top of my eyes. Everything is less quality in detail. Its like driving at night on a dark road and going from high to low beams and back.
Hey Cobb, I feel your pain. I too have Rheumatoid Arthritis. The description of your vision symptoms is pretty much spot on. Don't expect too much sympathy from people that don't have the disorder. They have no idea what pain is. I was wounded in Vietnam, Had a knee crushed in a motorcycle accident, my neck was broken in an automobile accident, my L4,L5 disc was herniated from carrying an unconcious woman out of a burning car wreck. These injuries all pale in comparison to the daily consternation caused by the Arthritis. Try to explain to someone that you cannot watch a movie today because of the vision problem you are having today, and then cherish the looks you get. I don't bother to explain myself to people anymore. When I have my cane, they can pretty much figure I am having a bad day.

I was hit with this around my 49th birthday. I am 54 now. Up till then, I was a serious bodybuilder and Martial arts practitioner. Try to imagine the psychological blow when you have to give up the things that occupied 3 to 4 hours of your day. Just keep plugging and make regular visits to the Doc. Try to get through each day without any optional meds. If you really need them fine. But don't expect medicines to alleviate all your problems. Steroids are very bad. I saw many a healthy person destroyed from steroid use. Avoid at all cost.

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, not sure I feel any better or not. At least you accomplished something with your life. I ve likely racked up at least a million in doctor bills my whole life, then who knows for the pain killers, other medication I was taking with insuarnce co pays. I now pay about 130 a month at gnc and internet viatmin stores.

Yeah, regardless its a misunderstood condition. Even today walking without the wheelchair driving, etc, I ice my back and neck down 3 times a day, watch what I do, when I do it, etc. One think I like about my van, I can fall out of it when I get to my destination than having to pull myself up out of it.

Long story short, looks like there is medication that reduces your immune system and it may provide relief from the attach on the joints and eye balls by your own immune system. I thought that was rather interesting. Maybe taking a low dose of a drug for accepting organ transplants than steroids or celebrex would work better?

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
No interest? Did I have an ah hah moment or is this old news? Anyone try some medication to weaken the immune system for those muscular diseases or juvernal arthridas? I mean, these muscular diseases like MS are from your immune system attacking your joints and tissue. Seems that if you weaken it, you would feel better, but be easier to get sick.

Still waiting on word from doctor.