MiniMAG LED 2AA, 3AA

CanDo

Newly Enlightened
I just glanced through a couple pages of threads here and didn't see anything specifically about the new Mini Mag LED.
What are your experiences with it? Any tests done so far?

(If this is already somewhere else, just delete it, or let me know, and I'll delete it)

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MiniMAG LED AA, 2AA, 2AAA

There is nothing because they are not out yet. So far just the C and D lights ad replacement modules. They should hopefully be out soon, then you will see more threads :).

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can however tell you that I am anxiously awaiting a couple SMJLED kits for my AA minimags from Lambda, cant wait to see how work :).

Last edited:

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
They are not available yet.

I hear these are due out in 6 months or so. I havent heard anything about the 1/2/3AA/AAA.

From what I've heard about the other MagLED dropins, my prediction:

Uninspired design, Sub-Average output, barely acceptable runtimes, fair cost and availablity.

Personnaly if you want a 2 AAA light I hear the Peak Pacific and Nuwai/RiverRock TM311 are good.[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened

I have 2 of the 2D Maglite LED flashlights. Just bought em from WalMart. They had em mismarked and I bought one of each color available.

The beam is the usual focusable with fine hotspot and long throw, but it's bright white! Very bright and very nice. Nearly the equal to my LEDBeam. I needed them like I need another hole in my head, but I got them for $16.82 each.

They rang up $33 + change each, but the display had several rows of them each clearly marked with a sign at $16.82. They told me sorry for the confusion; and the night crew at mismarked them. Their policy is to give you the item at the marked price, mistake or not.

I'm sure they changed the signs within minutes.

There were no mini mags in sight, nor were there any drop in replacement bulbs.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast

as I already typed by the beginning of this year, and with the numerous treads that they "should" be presented at the SHOT show, then 2-3 weeks later, then 2 months later, then in summer, then in ...., :

"this game has been done by Maglite for the past 3 years, and be4 these lights ARE NOT OUT, I doubt they will come even this year"

CanDo

Newly Enlightened
Re: They are not available yet.

chesterqw said:
ummm...IIRC there are only 2AA and 3AA

no 1aa or 2aaa.

I realized that shortly after sending. :ohgeez: I changed the title. Thanks

Well then that would explain why I've been having such a hard time. I'm really looking forward to these. Let's just hope they're not a huge dissapointment.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt they will be a huge disapointment. They will have the focusing beam which has always been one of the best things about them, which few other companies have. I have known many people who had a mag, including myself, and never heard one complaint about their durablity. Some complain about them, I have heard a number since being here, but no one has ever shown me proof of it, so until then I take it with a grain of salt knowing that every light has its proponents and detracters here, it is the nature of obsessive collectors, myself included.

Will they be the end all be all of flashlights, no, but then again what is, and where is it? If there was a single perfect light, everyone would have one and not worry about others. It doesnt exist, it wont exist, and every single manufacturer has their issues, especially with certain models, bar none.

For the price, I think the Maglights will be just fine, and be competitive with any other light in the $30 range. Will I get one, who knows, perhaps the 3AA , it might be interesting. I already have plenty of modded Minimags, or will after I get my SMJLEDs.

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened

lightningbug said:
I have 2 of the 2D Maglite LED flashlights. Just bought em from WalMart. They had em mismarked and I bought one of each color available.

The beam is the usual focusable with fine hotspot and long throw, but it's bright white! Very bright and very nice. Nearly the equal to my LEDBeam. I needed them like I need another hole in my head, but I got them for $16.82 each.

They rang up $33 + change each, but the display had several rows of them each clearly marked with a sign at $16.82. They told me sorry for the confusion; and the night crew at mismarked them. Their policy is to give you the item at the marked price, mistake or not.

I'm sure they changed the signs within minutes.

There were no mini mags in sight, nor were there any drop in replacement bulbs.

Are the Maglites regulated? I can't find much info on their website.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
who never had to complain about MM-bulbs lasting 5-6 hours MAX on average (= 1.5 sets of batts/cells), never used these lights.

Except for this they are ok for incands and still the best machining available.

mchlwise

Enlightened
yellow said:
who never had to complain about MM-bulbs lasting 5-6 hours MAX on average (= 1.5 sets of batts/cells), never used these lights.

:laughing: Werd.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not exactly sure what that all means, but I used a (the same one) Minimag for many years, 15 or better perhaps closer to 20, and I was quite satisfied with the runtime and brightness in its size before I found LED lights. So, I never complained, and used them for many many years.

Actually 5 - 6 hours is still ok even in LEDs, not great, but ok given some lights we fawn over. Yes, they are brighter perhaps, but many do not have anywhere near 5 - 6 hours runtime. Now I am a runtime bigot, and choose runtime and lesser lumens over lights with higher lumens and short runtimes.

I am curious to see what kind of battery life they get out of the 2 AA and 3 AA models respectively.

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how hard it would be to disassemble the Mag LED replacement and repot it into your own "pill" for a MM, using a tailcap switch.