Multi-colour LED flashlight

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would have use for a small flashlight that could be used in white, red or IR mode. Has anybody built something like that? Or does anyone a least know a source for small 4-position switches?

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Styrofoam,
I intend in future to build a torch with sevral different coloured LED's in it based on my very popular Box Torch design. Like you, I'm having a hard time locating small enough switches to allow each LED to be switched. I think that I might end up using one of those 4-way DIP switches such as is found on the rear of some older test meters fitted with GPIB. Production would be more complex as I would have to cut a rectangular hole in my torch's case.
Unlike some other torch makers I will keep my design simple and avoid using asny fancy micropprocessors or regulators, just plain LED's and resistors.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rayovac makes a "kid's - (now hear me out)" LED flashlight that has an amber LED in the center and both a red and green LED at the perimeter of the reflector.

First click on the switch powers up the amber, second the green and then red. My point is that sometimes you can find a light that has much of what you want and then you can change the rest to suit your needs. (or rip it all out and transfer it to another body) - Anyways, I bought this light as a gift for my girlfriend's grandson because he's absolutely nuts about my flashlight collection!

Of course, (prior to giving him this flashlight) I completely disassembled it to to perform a cursory "mod investigation"
wink.gif
and found that it would be very simple to remove the circut board and de-solder "that amber thing" and stuff a white Nichia in it's place. The other LEDs appear to be just as simple to replace too.

Now the caveat - I did not take any power readings from the circut board (to determine drive voltage) because I'm gonna give this thing to a 3-year old (and I have mod's that probably will cause "permanant eye damage"). And while I considered swapping in an "S" ranked white, I did not think a child of this age would comprehend the "gravity?" of this mod. It runs on a nicely made (by Rayovac) stock "module" that holds 3 AAA's. Total cost was like $7.99 and the flashlight overall was a very well made piece. So....for $8, it might be worth a look. Slick sez, amber sux, red & green aren't bad - check it out, then mod it.
grin.gif

sorry if my post's full of punctuation... it's just that text does't have the inflection of speech. (imagine us discussing this over a few beers)