I missed this in history-H.L. Hunley

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Maybe because I went to school in Connecticut. You know thw 'winner' writes the history :shakehead:
I have heard of the Monitor and Merrimack but I have no recall of this. Alerted by one of my children's books.
Dateline: 17 February 1864
Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, 2000-The USS Housatonic rests at anchor, her bow facing west by northwest toward Fort Sumter. Those on deck keep watch for a newfangled contraption that could travel underwater. The night is clear and moonlit, the seas calm. Suddenly, at 2045, Officer of the Deck John Crosby spots an anomaly in the water, "what looked to be a porpoise coming to the surface to blow."

But it is not a porpoise, it is the H. L. Hunley. Even as bullets ricochet off the hull of this iron fish, she moves forward quickly-straight for the Housatonic.

Minutes later, an explosion rocks the Housatonic, and she begins to sink fast. Men clamber over the side, into the water and into launches that have been cleared from the ship. One is sent to the nearby Canandaigua to summon assistance.

Later, Federal Seaman Robert Fleming testifies: "When the Canandaigua got astern, and was lying athwart of the Housatonic, about four ship lengths off, while I was in the fore rigging, I saw a blue light on the water just ahead of the Canandaigua, and on the starboard quarter of the Housatonic." This was the pre-arranged signal the submarine's crewmen were to give to let those on shore know she was safe.

But the Hunley never made it back to port.

http://www.hunley.org/
Thousands Cheer Raising of Historic
Submarine, H.L. Hunley in Charleston, SC Harbor
Press Release 7-2000: 15 August 2000

One hundred thirty-six years after it forever changed the course of naval warfare, the first submarine to sink an enemy ship in combat returned to an enthusiastic hero's welcome on Aug. 8. Cradled in a sling especially designed for this purpose, the Confederate submarine, H.L. Hunley, rose to the surface of Charleston Harbor shortly after 8:30 a.m., amid the cheers of thousands who had gathered to celebrate this long overdue homecoming................

H.L. Hunley, which sank with its crew of nine on Feb. 17, 1864, shortly after blowing up the Union blockader, USS Housatonic, was a leader in the Civil War arms race. Called the "South's secret weapon," H. L. Hunley was built by some of the best engineers of their time, but was never commissioned, in the Confederate Navy. Named after its second captain, who perished along with his crew during sea trials, the ill-fated H. L. Hunley sank three times, killing a total of 22 young men.

But for a quirk of fate, things might have gone differently that dark night in Charleston Harbor. According to Neyland, the Union submarine, Alligator, was intended for use in Charleston, but it was lost under tow off Cape Hatteras.

Captain's "Lucky Coin" Found in Civil War Submarine
Researchers recovering artifacts from the Civil War submarine H.L. Hunley have found one of the most sought objects in the project: a bent gold coin that the captain was said to carry as a good-luck piece after it saved him from death by a bullet.

The coin turned up inside the submarine alongside the recently recovered remains of Lt. George Dixon. It was discovered amid pieces of textile that may have been part of Dixon's clothing.

"Possibly he kept it in his pants pocket," said Robert Neyland, director of the project that has been recovering and analyzing the remains of the long-submerged vessel, which was raised last year from Charleston Harbor.

The Confederate submarine sank on February 17, 1864, shortly after an attack on the Union blockader U.S.S. Housatonic. The Hunley recovery project has been supported in part by the National Geographic Society.

The newly discovered coin is bent, which is consistent with reports that it saved Dixon from the loss of a leg or even his life by deflecting a bullet directed at him on April 6, 1862, during the Battle of Shiloh.

According to accounts, Dixon's sweetheart, Queenie Bennett, had given him a 20-dollar U.S. gold piece for luck, and he kept it in his pants pocket wherever he went.

Edit: I even grew up next to the Housatonic (river) :)

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were several National Geographic TV episodes on the discovery, recovery, and initial exploration of the Hunley. Great shows!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was a fascinating piece of history. They Hunley is now resting at a military acedemy isnt it and the sailers recieved fullmilitary honor funerals.

They just recently found one of the first working submarines down in the Bahamas I think where it disappeared many years ago. Will have to lok up the story.

Now if they can just find the Turtle from the American Revolution...

wpowell

Newly Enlightened
I gotta tell you, if you have the chance you HAVE to go see it.
It is interesting as all get out. You can watch them work on it. I was there when they were just starting to get the mud out of it.

Its amazing.

-w