Luxeon driven w/3 Lithium AA's?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon driven w/3 Lithium AA\'s?

Has anyone tried this direct drive? I have been running Luxeons on NiMh 3AA's with excellent light and no heating issues. Alkaline batteries provide a very noticable increase in light output as well as some additional heat (1.35 to 1.55 ah). Obviously there's a point of diminishing return, so can I expect this to live if only used for MOMENTARY use? I've found that 2 AA lithiums are nearly as bright as 3 NiMh AA's.. Maybe I need a four pound block of copper for a heatsink..or maybe for a brain?
tongue.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Luxeon driven w/3 Lithium AA\'s?

Tried both Nimh and Alk AA 3.6/4.5V combinations with similarly good results.

But Slick, try giving this a shot:

Hook up 2 LSs in series and drive them with a single 8.4V NiMH cell. All I can say is Whoooaaaaaa......

You'll get outrageous brightness for about 2 minutes, then reasonable (ie. better than an Arc SLS) for about 10-15 mins and the light will still be useful for another 40 mins or so after that at around Arc-AAA brightness.

Not very practical, but a nice exercise
smile.gif

Lawrence

Newly Enlightened

Guys , how bout this ?
3 LS connected in parallel powered by
2 parallel bank of 3 'C' cell in series.

I tried combining the 'forces' of my LI ,
INOVA X5T and Elite X-ray 4X to outshine
this 'joker'.

Hmmm...what can i say.Seeing is believing !
shocked.gif

....Luke...use the force...
PROJECT-A+Rev1.1.jpg

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
Tried both Nimh and Alk AA 3.6/4.5V combinations with similarly good results.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, I was wondering if the next logical step (lithiums) would be safe. I know there has to be a point of diminishing return, but I was very impressed with the test results of lithiums in the CMG reactor.

I would be using the lithium AA's in my direct drive Brinkmann 3AA legend.

And yes, I have a 3 Luxeon unit currently under construction! Does the quest for more light ever end?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slick:
Has anyone tried this direct drive? I have been running Luxeons on NiMh 3AA's with excellent light and no heating issues. Alkaline batteries provide a very noticable increase in light output as well as some additional heat (1.35 to 1.55 ah). Obviously there's a point of diminishing return, so can I expect this to live if only used for MOMENTARY use? I've found that 2 AA lithiums are nearly as bright as 3 NiMh AA's.. Maybe I need a four pound block of copper for a heatsink..or maybe for a brain?
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hay Slick,

Ya know what? I gonna brave this frightening new threshold. I'll sacrifice my 3AA in the interest of flashoholic science.

I already know it will get waaaaay hot, as I tried lithiums in the Lambda Illuminator and even with the thermal-protect mode that's built into its DC-DC converter going crazy, it still gets too hot to hold if left on for more than a few minutes.

So I imagine a DrectDrive 3AA would be worse.

Anyway I'll try it as soon as I am fully woken up, and post something under my 3AA thread.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lawrence:

PROJECT-A+Rev1.1.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Looks an awful lot like my trusty Norelco shaver.
grin.gif

Seriously, an interesting mod though.
cool.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

A Norelco shaver for a dermatologist using laser beams to kill hair follicle roots, perhaps.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Frankly, I think it looks like something the FBI would throw your a$$ in jail for...
shocked.gif
Especially in today's anti-terror mindset. Way cool none the less..
cool.gif