ok ac info part 2

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok i found a window unit just had to get one it was efecting my health i have high bp as well as mentle illness and its very important i sleep well .so i found a 10.8 err efcany window unit is that
1 is that good?
2 i mounted it in my door i made a door well i mounted it in my screen door but it rest on floor all vents have lots a clearance and its tilt toward the condnser side slightly is that ok?
3 there is no air leaks around it i used 7 mil plastic its very thick then on inside a door frame im going to add more plastic so there is a 3 inch air gap between both layers would it be smarter to add inslation to middle? or is air gap better
ya know me i am like number 5 the robot i love info lol btw it has been runing 3 hours and it only droped my room a few degrees.but im comfy lol and my pc is so happy it hated to run in a 90 plus degree room with high humidty

drizzle

Enlightened
Congratulations Raggie!

I haven't kept up on A/C specs so I don't know about the efficiency. I can tell you from experience that what you are experiencing is pretty common. When you first start it up it will be condensing a lot of humidity out of the air and that will keep it from cooling the air as much but it will make you more comfortable as you noticed. Pretty soon you should feel the temp come down.

I'm not sure about how you are trying to seal and insulate it. I think the air gap should be fine. The one concern I would have is that if you put it on the floor there may not be a good path for the water to flow out. It is taking a lot of water out of the air and it has to run off somewhere. You might check that to make sure it's not leaking in somewhere you don't want it to go.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I understand you correctly, you "insulated" a screen door using two sheets of black poly film... It helps, but is probably not very good

I would suggest you go to the local home center and grab a sheet foil backed foam instead. Cut it up and fit it to your doorway (make it fold in sections and you can store and use it for several years). Should not be very expensive and will work much better (especially if you have sun shining on the doorway). Watch out taping anything to trim--after a few months, you will have pulled paint and dried tape making a mess everywhere.

You may also wish to paint the outside portion of what ever you put up so as not to get the condo-association on your back... Maybe even put some fake trim/windows on it using tape/paint.

Keep your Cool!
-Bill

PS: And what Drizzle said--make sure that no water goes down the side of the building or under a wooden balconey and such (use a tube/hose to direct water away)... Can cost you anything from a new paint job to replacing mildew/dry rot and/or termite infected parts of your home...

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
also remember warm air rises. I don't know if your room is small enough that the blowing air creates enough turbulance to mix up the warm and cold air and eventually cool all of it... but if it isn't then the ac would be cooling the cool air near the floor and letting the warm air hang out up above.. in that case I recommend a small fan up near the cieling blowing the warm air down, or a fan on the floor blowing cool air up to the ceiling..

or raise the ac.. :cool: