TID for fenix lights???........

clipse

Enlightened
I've seen pics of a fenix light with a TID on it. I have searched and searched on here but can't find a source. Where can I get a TID for my a fenix L2P?

clipse

Last edited:

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
A TID could be subject to some pretty strong forces if actually used in an emergency. Could one that uses set screws to attach to the light be strong enough to withstand such forces without falling off?

Also, are they so sharp that they can catch on clothing or tear the inside of a pocket? Does the light have to be in a holster for normal carry?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnnyLightOn said:
Also, are they so sharp that they can catch on clothing or tear the inside of a pocket?

I think that's kind of the "point" of a TID, isn't it? :crackup:

Does the light have to be in a holster for normal carry?

The GG&G TID's are nice and pointy...I would carry it in a holster.

JM-99

clipse

Enlightened
Thanks.

I carry my lights in a holster everyday anyway so I won't worry too much about it cutting my clothing.

If I have to use it in an emergancy, I doubt I will worry to much about my light getting scratched by the set screws. :)

s.duff

Enlightened
another point to mention is that i think one of the primary methods to be used with the TID is more like a pressure sensitive area hold. the demonstration that i was given was along with a wrist lock and the TID pressed down on the back of the hand and turned in either direction. this also works nicely on the lower part of the tricep right above the elbow, again in conjunction with an arm bar. both of these were done as a "little spice" added to a come-along hold, i'm not sure how well they would hold up as forceful impact devices seeing as that you are right with enough force the set screws would fail and force the TID to slide down to the bottom of the head.

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
The pressure-used-for-strong-encouragement technique and the strike-with-all-your-force technique are two very different applications of a flashlight used for self-defense. I wonder how much a TID would help the pressure techniques if one used the techniques correctly. The bottom end of a Mini-Mag 2AA light seems like it would be just as effective as any TID. Once you've got the placement right, any pressure from a hard object will work. The person will either let go or move in the direction you want or drop to their knees.

However, these pressure techniques require a lot of practice to use effectively, especially in an emergency. I would never try to use them because I haven't trained nearly enough.

On the other hand, a hammer fist with the flashlight sticking out from the bottom of your fist is very intuitive. Again, the bottom end of a Mini-Mag would work for this, but a TID seems like it would work even better, and be scary-looking to boot. I should hope that a TID would not fall off (or fall down the light) in such a situation, as that would be worse than having no TID at all. Has anyone's tested this by hitting their TID-equipped light on a hard object?

litho123

Enlightened
Spydie asks:
Does anyone know if the tadgear TID for the L1T will also fit the L1P?

Answer is (I believe) YES...although I don't see how one can hold onto an L1P with TID. My brother absconded with my L2p complete with a finger-grooved rubber sleeve around the middle of it and is looking to attach a TID to it. That will be more workable for my hands.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Tadgear has them, but IMO it makes the light too bulky. Here's my suggestion:

Take a round file and carefully create your own TID pattern on the Fenix bezel. There's enough material there to make it happen. Just cover the window with some thick tape to prevent the window from getting scratched.