great now my water hearter is broke

raggie33

*the raggedier*
grr i am pissed good news is i can deal with no hot water but i hate to shower in cold.right now i supsect the high ppresure safety valve is bad alowing the vavle to open and dran the tank even though it aint over preseure i go the heater on a very low seting plus lol the vavle is supsed to leak outside there is a coper tube that oges from it to outside but i think its buried lol and it has a leak in the tube lol that how i found out it was broke weird lol i dont worry about the leak i guess it should realy never be relaseing prusre unless it has to much but i doubt it has to much but when i lifted the valve on the safety vent lol it shot water very far outa leak lol.i turedn off water to the heater

nuggett

Enlightened
Well you at least have a good sense of humor over it, lol. It should not be difficult to change out the overpress. valve. Turn off the main water supply and electric and give it a try. A slow leak will run up your electric AND water bill. While you are in there, change out the elements and thermostats....= new water heater!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact your landlord and get it fixed/replaced.
If the apartment is a condo or co-op, replace it yourself or get someone to replace it at your earliest convenience. It can cause a lot of damage if you ignore it, but worse of all you're probably wasting a lot of energy and your utility bill is going to reflect that.

raggie33 said:
grr i am pissed good news is i can deal with no hot water but i hate to shower in cold.right now i supsect the high ppresure safety valve is bad alowing the vavle to open and dran the tank even though it aint over preseure i go the heater on a very low seting plus lol the vavle is supsed to leak outside there is a coper tube that oges from it to outside but i think its buried lol and it has a leak in the tube lol that how i found out it was broke weird lol i dont worry about the leak i guess it should realy never be relaseing prusre unless it has to much but i doubt it has to much but when i lifted the valve on the safety vent lol it shot water very far outa leak lol.i turedn off water to the heater

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that should be a landlord issue. You've turned off the water, now turn off the breaker. There should be one large (230v) or two small (120v). Hopefully, they're labeled.

If there is no water to the heater, it is important that the electric (or gas) be turned off.

I guess this will make it easier to chill out.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i turned it off its gas i dont miss the gas bill anyways i will now save lots a cash

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, don't be silly now. Get it fixed. Unless you want to boil water to wash dishes and stuff. Realistically it makes no sense to go without a water heater, the other methods of heating water when you need it, costs way too much.

raggie33 said:
i turned it off its gas i dont miss the gas bill anyways i will now save lots a cash

raggie33

*the raggedier*
called dad its geting fixed he said same thing about dished that i must wash em in warm water it just needs the presure valve replaced i now how to do that as long as it aint stuck

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be sure and use some teflon tape or joint sealer compound (I prefer the joint pooky).

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the dishes must be washed in warm to hot water, if you don't have a dishwasher. If you don't have hot water, heat water on the stove (to about 110-120ºF), not to boiling unless you're going to mix it with cold water.

140º would be best to wash dishes and kill bacteria, but it will burn your hands.

raggie33 said:
called dad its geting fixed he said same thing about dished that i must wash em in warm water it just needs the presure valve replaced i now how to do that as long as it aint stuck

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool ty everyone ok is my thinking corect in that presure relif valve should never open unless there is a probel? or if i manlay open it? i could see it do it if i had it at a high high temp but i had it at a low temp id guess 140f or so

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
It don't think it should ever open. It's a safety thing in case a lot of things go wrong.

If it doesn't stay closed, it should be replaced, which is fairly easy to do.

If that's your water heater, you might consider draining it every year or two. It can flush out sediment. But if the heater is your landlord's, I wouldn't touch it. Murphy's law, you know.

Here's one idea of water heater maintenance. It recommends flushing every 6 months. I wonder how many people do that. It also recommends testing the pressure relief valve periodically. I never did that, and I don't think I'm about to start now.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Repair/WaterHtrMaintaince.html

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o let me add new info recall i have that weird water presure probelm maybe thats it i need to by a water presure gauge i guess

Latest posts