BRINKMANN 3 AA / LUXEON INTEREST ??

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering purchasing some Brinkmann 3 AA flashlights, and modifying them with the sample Lambertian Luxeon Stars I have. I am wondering if there is enough interest for me to do this, and how many would want one. Also, what would be a fair price to charge?

These would be direct drive flashlights.

Brinkmann.3AA.Luxeon.1.jpg

Brinkmann.3AA.Luxeon.2.jpg

Brinkmann.3AA.Luxeon.3.jpg

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne:

A prominent CPF'er is modding two of these for me for $30 @ over the cost of the Legend 3AA's which I am sending to him. That's a little under the losing $51 bid I placed on your EBAY item that sold for > $57.50.

Those are my references points. As to what's fair, I don't know.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne & Slick:

I would certainly agree that I'm getting a good, gracious deal from a good person. I suspect he'd be reluctant to make many more for me or anyone else at that price (which he suggested, not me)unless his "learning curve" hopes are met in reducing the labor required per unit.

My price paid is certainly fair from my perspective, and Wayne's $57.50 buyer has also received a fair value. I might have chased Wayne's auction further if this other opportunity didn't present itself.

bucken

Enlightened
Glad you asked...

I was just thinking about e-mailing you regarding the possibility of making one up. I was planning to get back into the auction yesterday, but got tied up at work... and consequently missed out!

I think somewhere along the auction price would be fair.

I stuck one of Lambda's Ill Pills into a 3AA Mini Mag, and am loving it! So far, have not had any heat problems, but has only been ON for a few minutes at a time.

-bucken-

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
I would be quite interested pending the outcome/output of your modified 3C cell mag I just purchased from Mr. Bulk. Any chance you have tinkered with or heard anything about the Luxeon Ring???

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bucken:
I stuck one of Lambda's Ill Pills into a 3AA Mini Mag, and am loving it! So far, have not had any heat problems, but has only been ON for a few minutes at a time.
-bucken-
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where can I find a 3AA mini-mag? I'm not having any luck.
frown.gif

bucken

Enlightened
Slick,

Mag Lite used to sell an extension tube with a new bulb that converted the standard 2AA into a 3AA. I must have bought it at least 15, maybe 20 years ago. I think it might be a collector's item now. I have not seen them anywhere for many years. It does make a nifty slim package, maybe even a little shorter than the Brinkmann. Overall length of the 3AA Mini Mag is 8 1/4".

DSCN7754.jpg

DSCN7765.jpg

-bucken-

rawhide_clyde

Newly Enlightened
ElektroLumens,
I would be very interested in your modified
Brinkmann 3 AA flashlight. Hope it comes together! I'll be standing-by for more info.
Stay Safe,
Clyde

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bucken:

Thanks for your pictures. I'm very curious why the Minimag extension connects to the Minimag body with a spring between the two batteries closest to the endcap. One would think that a shorter extension without spring would have been the customer preferred and cheaper solution. On the other hand, we all know that Mag likes to wast space in their switch compartments and tailcap springs.

(Edit)
Actually, I just answered my own question. The male threads in the extension required space that won't let an AA fit through. The extension is clearly an afterthought that wasn't planned for. A pure Mag 3AA would be shorter.

bucken

Enlightened
Just curious...

Would someone please measure their Brinkmann 3AAA (if they have one) and report what the overall length is?

Thanks, in advance,
xyxthumbs.gif

-bucken-

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bucken:
Mag Lite used to sell an extension tube with a new bulb that converted the standard 2AA into a 3AA. I must have bought it at least 15, maybe 20 years ago. I think it might be a collector's item now. I have not seen them anywhere for many years. -bucken-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanx for posting this Bucken, I never knew such a piece was made. - Or even from Mag at that..

The reason I ask is that I build a "direct-drive 3AA pill" (intended for NiMh's), that typically sees alkalines. The Brinkmann samples I have modded (while good quality) have differed in final machining measurements - thereby making a pre-built pill impossible to duplicate for anyone who want's a "drop-in". Mag appears to have built an "early and a "Late" mini-mag, so I thought this might make it easier to build something I knew whould work (out of the box) for the average "performance appreciator".

I think that a big part of the appeal of this flashlight is that is produces SO MUCH light for it's shear mass.. and still has decent (fair IMHO) run-time.

Ordinary people really seem to want these, and I'm not just talking about flashlight enthusiasts either. This makes having a small local venue for sales of "cutting edge test units" a distinct possibility.
grin.gif
(or at least enough profit to cover the "developement" costs of "blown-up luxeons", while figuringing how far you can push the darn things..)

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious...

Would someone please measure their Brinkmann 3AAA (if they have one) and report what the overall length is?

Thanks, in advance,
xyxthumbs.gif

-bucken-
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just so happen to have a 3AA skeleton laying here..

8 1/8th minimum
8 5/16th's maximum

Minimum is with the head screwed all the way onto the body (bottomed out). Maximum is with the head screwed out all the way off (out) just before the sealing O-ring begins to show.

Hopefully that made sense..

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
[QB]I am considering purchasing some Brinkmann 3 AA flashlights, and modifying them with the sample Lambertian Luxeon Stars I have. I am wondering if there is enough interest for me to do this, and how many would want one. Also, what would be a fair price to charge?

These would be direct drive flashlights.

Your prices (and others here at CPF, like Lambda) have always been reasonable, and I would venture to think that EVERYONE is appreciatiave of that fact!, so I trust your final price to be fair to you, and a value to us!

Isn't it GREAT to purchase a light that is better than any commercialy available light, was HAND MADE AND TWEAKED by it's maker, AND purchased at a GREAT DEAL to the end user!

I love showing off my Lambda Illuminator!! The first question by the admireror, is usually, "How much", to which I respond, "he only makes a handful at a time!"

If the maker makes several hundreds or several thousands of dollars, well HOOWHAAA!

AND if I get a light better, brighter and smaller than anything else commercially available, well then GREAT for me!

That said, count me in!

I would prefer a DC to DC converter, and voltage regulator, but as long as I know, bright as heck for two or three hours, then declining brightness afterward, PLEASE count me in!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased 10 Brinkmann 3 AA flashlights. I will mount the new Lambertian Luxeon Star in them, direct drive. It seems to me to be okay to do this. Using 3 alkaline AA batteries, I left it on overnight, it got very warm, but not destructively hot. I get about 6-8 hours of high brightness, and probably another 16 hours of gradually diminishing light. Based upon the response in this thread, I'm going for the upper limit on price, which is $69.99.

This size seems perfect to me. Of course, I have always leaned to larger flashlights, so this one to me is small. Some have commented to me this is the largest size they would own.
grin.gif

It will take several weeks to get the flashlights and modify them.

Here is a web page I made up for this flashlight:

Brinkmann 3 AA Lambertian Luxeon Star Flashlight

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is a fair price from having done the mod.. D & C cell LS mods are one thing, but AA mods require much more precise work and careful drilling & fitting. READ - sore fingers!

(I know that guys who solder under microscopes are laughing at me for making this assesment..)
blush.gif

Pay the man, then marvel at how much light comes out of such a little stick!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am wondering if there is a modification using the Luxeon Star mentioned above, for a failed 2AA MiniMaglight. Failed because the entire switch mechanism is no good = broke = no spring to hold the switch up.
vulnerable.gif

<font color=blue>--Ðøug
rolleyes.gif
™</font>

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
Wayne:

A prominent CPF'er is modding two of these for me for $30 @ over the cost of the Legend 3AA's which I am sending to him. That's a little under the losing $51 bid I placed on your EBAY item that sold for > $57.50.

Those are my references points. As to what's fair, I don't know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a hell of a good deal if you consider that the LS and parts will add up to around $15 or so. Essentially he's performing the mod for only $15 which is outstanding for all of the time spent hand fitting parts.

I've had no shortage of $50 offers for my Brinkmann 3AA mod with some offers going as high as $100 from those folks trying to pry it out of my hands. I think the $50 - $60 range would be fair for these because of the high initial cost for the 3AA body. The 2AA costs only half as much AND comes with batteries and a holster.