Buy now, or wait for something better?

Lumenation

Newly Enlightened
I haven't bought anything since the fenix l2p came out. I am ready to buy a new flashlight (even though I don't need one:lolsign: ), but I am not sure if I should buy one now, or wait until later in the year when something better and brighter comes out. So the question is "buy it now, not later" "buy it later, not now" or "buy it now, and buy it later".

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, if there is nothing out there that is really crying out to you to buy, I would pass and wait till something really piqued my interest. Why buy something just to buy something? Most likely it will get dropped in a drawer and forgotten if it is not interesting to begin with. Wait and buy something very kewl.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"m on the same boat...I want a 10x, M6, A2 and K2 but..realize they will add not the least bit of function ot my collection, just redundentcy and fun LOL

I think i'm going to wait...

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree- is there something you really want and can use now? Then get it. There will be new stuff coming out that might or might not improve on what is available now. Just depends on what you need.

My latest acquisitions filled the voids in my perceived "needs"- a Streamlight TL-2 2nd gen. LED, and the new maglight LED bulb replacement. But I'm always open to new stuff.

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
Technology progression is one of those logorithmic curve things...it breeds all by itself it seems. Entertainment items make a lot of money for those folks that keep on dreaming it up...always at the entertainees expense. Utility items (and I include computers in this category...and lighting technologies too...our particular focus here) can sometimes add quality points and save some $$ for us at the same time.
I would say that when you feel a need to take advantage of new technology to increase your useage of that particular technology- do it. If you just have a particular interest in that technology- same thing- do it. Life is short, and never guaranteed, I think most of us here consider this an interest/hobby which is just fine...(probably helps push the technology progression even faster for everybody else's benefit...good for all of us huh?)

Personally, when something can save me some $$$$ in the long run, I'll get it now, save a few $$$$ for a while, then get the next best thing later, and save some more $$$$ later. This lighting stuff also lights my candle so to speak, and I have learned a lot here in particular.....and my battery useage is WWWAAAYYY down these days too...

Rock on flashaholics!...you are helping more folks than you may realize (and making some converts too I think!)
Rando

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Save till something comes along (which is affordable) and you just gotta have it. You'll know it when you see it...

Until then save up or even sell something off so you'll be ready when it comes along...

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
Lumenation, not sure at what time in point you bought the l2p, but I can tell you I love my Fenix P1. I already had bought the LOP, L1P....and thuoght I didn't need another torch.

THe P1 is now my favorite EDC (every day carry) lightweight, powerful and tiny in size.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both!
Seriously, keep an eye out and do some research on the lights you are interested in, have a long debate with yourself to see if you really need a particular light, and one of two things will happen:
1) You will convince yourself over time that you don't need it and move on to other newer interesting lights to obsess over.
or
2) You will learn some neat capabilities or features of a light that you just MUST have. Debate some more, keep an eye out for a good deal, and eventually, if you are still interested and the light has kept your interest for a while (meaning you really like/want it) you will finally get it and feel awesome that you earned it.

lightrod

Enlightened
My own criteria to pull the trigger on a purchase: (a) I want it every day for a week, and (b) I can afford it and one more just like it. That way I do not kick myself if something clearly better comes along soon at a similar price. In that case I just apply rule (a), waive my own rule (b) if necessary, and get the other bloody thing too. Then start the cycle over again!:broke:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i havent bought a light in 6+ months.... and in a few weeks i am going to get something special from a local store :) I will post what i do get in a few weeks ;)

-david

roguesw

Enlightened
i say save up and buy something really extraordinary that is only offered on CPF, for example, McGizmo's work or Arc Mania or Katokichi or any other flashlight gurus on this forum
the reason i think is, they have good resale value, they were designed with flashoholics in mind (big factor) and they are way cool and unique
and they are something that you would want to use (at least in my case)
if you are into buying and then selling lights, then buy lights that have a decent resale value, e.g surefires etc
this way, you can off load it at a reasonable price and then get the next thing in line
i have waited for a M3 for over 3 years, i guess i have patience lol

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
Wait if you must; otherwise, I suggest full steam ahead my friend.

On several occasions, I have said to myself: "Damn, I wish that I had bought one of those when they were readily available? Now, they're as scarce as hens' teeth."

I believe in being good to oneself (and others) within one's means to do so, and find that the older I become, the more self-indulgent I become. This may have something to do with later becoming shorter. BTW, this does not mean that you settle for less than what you really want (want, not necessarily need) in order to have something now, or that you ignore the financial imperative.

If you are able, buy what you want now, and buy what you want later.

Last edited:

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
duh.
buy now, buy later, and buy again when theres something better. its not like you can have too many flashlights.

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
What about creating a budget for your flashlight hobby, then buying a new light periodically? For example, let's say you budgeted $25 a month to this hobby. That's $300 a year. Then, set the minimum period during which you will wait to buy a new light. Let's say that was every two months. That means every two months, you will have $50 to spend on flashlights.

Now, when the two months is up and the time comes to buy a new light, you have three choices:

- Buy one or more lights which you've really been wanting, at a price up to the amount in your flashlight fund.

- Buy nothing now because you want to save this money towards a specific light that you know you want as soon as you have the funds.

- If there's no single light that's really pulling at you, do nothing now, save the funds for future purchases, and enjoy the lights already in your collection. Perhaps rediscover one that you've let sit in a drawer for a while.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there isn't a light that really pulls you, just hang and see what the next round brings. It's always enjoyable to shop and research so just keep the eyes open for some bargins that come around too.

I haven't bought a light since Oct/Nov. If the HDS U85 had been in regular distribution I might have considered getting one. Aside from that, a PD is the only temptaion. I keep my eye open for an Aleph 2 also. ;)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
First order of business welcome to CPF!

Technology advances daily. So what you buy today will be obsolete at some point. Keeping this in mind I buy on the trailing edge of product cycles to take advantage of the clearance sales. Case in point; I just got a really cool HDS B42XRGT for $99 out the door. When the HDS System lights 1st came out I drooled over the prospect of owning one but couldn't really justify the cost as I already have plenty of lights covering all of my needs. So when the clearance sale was announced I got one for a price that was in my eyes tolerable for a light I really didn't need. I did the same for my Arc LSH-S. I got that with a pouch and 2 AA battery pack for $79.99.

Lights get brigher but the physics of power storage remain constant. Currently twice as bright burns half as long all other factors being equal. Before anybody flames me I realize that efficiencies are increasing but battery chemistries are still the same as 5 years ago.

My personal tastes value burn time over shear output. So I am happy to pick up "old tech" at a good price that fits my needs. But if a break through does occur that gives me 200 lumens and 2 hours of burn time in a form factor that my B42 has I will most likely buy it tomorrow.

So if the price is right, I buy. Otherwise I will live vicariously through you all, my lumen obsessed brethren.

My hat is off and glass is raised too you!!!

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...On several occasions, I have said to myself: "Damn, I wish that I had bought one of those when they were readily available? Now, they're as scarce as hens' teeth."
OUCH! I've been bit by that one. There's so much going on. New LEDs. New companies coming....and going. The uncertainty of it all has changed my buying habits more than anything else. I'll check it out and if I want it and can afford it I just buy it.

And now...a minute of silence for all of those lights we could have bought for cheap if we had only moved on them in time. /sniff