Nightwalking: Matterhorn vs. L1P

drmaxx

Enlightened
Last weekend we were at this wonderful party that was somewhat remotely located. It was a moonless night and after the party we had to walk back to the cars. Of course we had flashlights and so we took the shortcut through the forest (the others had to take the illuminated but loooong way :grin2: ). The lights were mostly used to illuminate the path right in front of us.
I was surprised how much better my wifes Peak Matterhorn 3 LED ultra was performing - compared to the FenixL1P I had in my hands. There was hardly a difference in (useful) brightness, but the Peak had a much wider beam. It was easier to illuminate the entire path so that several people could go down the steep hill safely.

Bottom line for me: The Peak got back on top of my EDC list and the Fenix moved down one spot. Smaller, lighter and more useful for close range work - which are the most applications I have for my EDC.

Anybody had a similar experience?

Chao

Enlightened
Good to know! I just ordered Peak Matterhorn 1 LED ultra with amber color.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added a piece of PDA protector to the lens of my Fenix EDC (a Civictor but same idea). It diffuses the light a tiny bit so my hotspot is milder and spill is a little brighter, which I find more useful. It also protects the lenses against pocket bumps.

The total output is unchanged by the PDA protector (the reflected photons just bounce against the reflector again and come out in a new direction) so there's no loss of efficiency.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I use both - depends on the situation for me - longer throw = Fenix, more flood = Peak. One can never have too many flashlights :laughing: