Will work for Surefires...

grnamin

Enlightened
I recently had to setup a remote office in Stamford, CT. Being the flashoholic that I am, I decided to look up any Surefire dealers in the area via their website. Sure enough, there's on in Greenwich--->Eurochasse. I stopped by and talked to the owner. Turns out he's also a Panerai guy. He didn't have the KL1 head I was looking for, but he had a whole lot of Surefires. He asked what I did for a living and I told him I worked with computers. He mentioned that his wife's laptop had been on the blink ever since he "slammed" the lid shut one day. Dell told him that he was out of luck and that he needed to purchase another laptop. I told him I'd have a look at it. I was able to fix the laptop. Hani, the owner, offered me any Surefire in his shop. He took out a U2 and several other lights. I said that I only wanted the E2L because I was going to mod the KL1 attached to it. He gave me the E2L with thanks for fixing the laptop.

You might ask why I didn't go for the U2 instead. I've had 3 of them and sold all 3. I'm sticking to Surefires that are easy to mod. :D

greenLED

Flashaholic
Grox said:
Nice story! It brought a smile to my face :)
Ditto. Something that impressed me is that grnamin would decline a U2 and take a smaller light. Some people might've gone for the most expensive light (even if they owned one) just to sell it and make a profit (hey, you can pretty much buy 2 e2l's for the price of one U2!). Instead, he picked a light he needed. My hat's off to you, grnamin! :clap: :clap:

grnamin

Enlightened
Thank you. All in a day's work for a flashoholic. :) Nope, Hani didn't have any Beast II's, but he did have a a couple of M6's. I forgot to mention that a customer was there to pick up a shotgun he had put on layaway. He listened to Hani and I talk about Surefires and ended up purchasing an E2L for himself. :)

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
Good story... Bartering is an awesome way to do business. You both got a great deal. Hats off to you for getting what you wanted.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey really nice story here, especially about the part you selling your 3 SF.U2s!

roguesw

Enlightened
nice one grnarmin, its great when your skills can buy you something for your hobby
when i first read your title, i thought you had landed a job at Surefire (WOW)
but then, it got better to see that you got a Surefire out of it
great job mate
Des

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Here in the UK some towns (like Tetbury - home of our next King!) have bartering schemes using tokens.
Beats money as the value of things / services is determined by mutual agreement rather than 'the market'.