SureFire

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering why doesnt surefire make 3 Watt LED flashlights, the ones with no Optics. Lets Say An L5 but with a 3Watt Luxeon, it would have better regulation and better throw. Also i have never seen a 5Watt Luexeon use an optic from surefire. Is it possible?

SCblur

Enlightened
There does seem to be a gap from SF, where other companies like Fenix and HDS have stepped in. Some CPF'ers have chosen to mod their KL1 and KL4 heads, putting the KL3 3watt LED into the KL5 reflector. I have heard some chatter here about putting the 5watt KL4 LED into the KL1 head w/ the optics, but I haven't heard anything concrete. The only issue I think that might come up would be heatsinking problems (that is, with a 5watt inside a KL1 head). But, since the LED's don't send their head forward as incans do, I'm not sure if this would be an issue or not. I'm definitly not an expert.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've kinda wished the same sort of thing. If they made a 3W head (true 3W, not an 1.5W underdriven head like the KL1) with a reflector, I'd probably buy one, especially if it would regulated off of a 3.7V lithium ion (either R123 or 17670). Price it somewhere between an E2L and the L4. Wouldn't replace either of those, but it'd give us a happy medium between all-spot-no-spill and wall-of-light. Especially now that Alephs are getting hard to aquire.

Size15's

Flashaholic
People may think it is crazy that SureFire is not using LuxeonIII's in reflectors like other companies are.

Many things are possible but SureFire appear to have decided to explore the use of TIR optics instead of reflectors. I guess they are taking a longer term R&D approach.

SureFire have not released any models using a LuxeonV behind a TIR optic which I personally think is crazy.

I am not sure why they aren't... I am sure that SureFire have good reasons though...

Al

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i had more money, i would buy an kl1 or kl3(which ever fits on an l4 body and is MORE easy to open up) then replace the driver in it, driving the lux III there at 1000ma or higher.
i would then have a super bright light saberZ!!!

wonder why surefire doesn't drive the kl1 and kl3 to full specs....

runtime would be shorter by alot...but we have li ions...