im outa the flashlight hobby

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ill still post and bother ya all in cafe though lol but after reading that thread about that light blowing up it scares me way to much im a very parnoid guy im not as scared as huirting my self immore scared of it burning up my place.am i being to parnoid

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool ok man that was one scarey thread.i had no idea something like that could happpen im going to at least throw away my old batteies today i kept them before for spares

Haz

Enlightened
i was surprised at the danger of it too. Despite the strength of the light in the aluminium tube, the ends of the lights seems quite vulnerable. I wouldn't want anyone to be staring at the business end of the light when the light starts hissing.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Do not despair, you have many options.

-Only use lights that take Alkaline or NiMH batteries (Fenix series, X series from Nuwai, etc.)

-Only use single cell lights.

-Buy a ZTS battery tester, test your cells and act accordingly.

Please don't over react to this incident. This things are still rare occurences and should not be blown out of proportion. Be smart and chances are you'll be fine.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
C'mon Raggie, provided you take some basic safety precautions, you're probably in more danger when riding in the car to and from the flashlight store than you are using lithium powered lights. If you're really worried about it, I'm sure someone here would be happy to store your lithium powered lights where they'd be of no danger to you. :)

Cheers! :buddies:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkalines and NiMH are quite safe as long as one does not do stupid things like throwing them in a fire. Lithiums are a bit more touchy especially molti-cell setups. That still leaves a lot of lights that are safe - L1P and clones, L1T, L0P, Arc, Pacific, Matterhorn, TM-310H just to name a few. Just use alkalines or NiMH batteries not lithiums.

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just stick with alkalines or NiMh and you'll be fine. it's the batteries that are exploding. not the light itself. If that's the case, you really can't avoid all batteries. Basically... just use common sense and if you hear hissing and see smoking, toss the light to a safe area.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
no worries! you can always send all your lights to me :)

but lithiums cells are safe if you take good care of them...

throwing them in a fire is fine, that is unless you are in the fire.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie!! you should be perfectly fine doing things the way you already are. lithium cells are pretty safe anyway. just don't mix cells in different states of discharge.

no reason to get scared!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok im happy again .now i think of it i never heard of this hapening but saw one post only so it must not hapen a lot cause we have the most litium batterys users in the world on cpf .probaly more beter chance to get struck by lighting

Delvance

Enlightened
Definitely Raggie, there are alot more activities that people do everyday without even thinking twice...that are easily more dangerous than us using a lithium powered light. Just have a voltmeter handy and measure batteries when you buy them. I have found one or two dead lithiums in a batch of new batteries...which could've caused nasty stuff had i not tested them with a voltmeter. Amps flash may help as well...although i'm not sure on that one.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why flashlight sellers aren't required to plaster them with safety warnings and have a child proof switch. At the minimum users should be told to wear eye protection, heavy leather gloves, and a flak jacket whenever operating a flashlight.

But help is on the way. I've heard there's a bill in congress which will require flashlights be kept unloaded and locked in a safe. :)

Last edited: