Modded KL1 & KL4 beamshot video (stock KL1 added)

grnamin

Enlightened
Here's a little background... Extracted the driver board from a latest-generation KL1 and transplanted it into a KL4 with a Lux III UW0J. Got another KL1, took out the optic and lens, put a McR20 reflector and UCL lens in it. Here's the comparison video shot from about 12 feet away on the ceiling, both powered by 2x123s (KL4 on the left, KL1 on the right):

*.wmv version
*.avi version

If you can't play the video, try right-clicking on the *.avi link and choose "save target as" to download the file to your desktop and view from there.

The video doesn't really show much of a difference, probably because the camera compensated, but the KL1 is noticeable brighter than the KL4 due to the McR20 reflector. The last difficult part of the KL1 mod was trying to keep the rubber O-ring from bunching up while I tightened down the bezel.

Last edited:

roguesw

Enlightened
Re: Modded KL1 & KL4 beamshot video

nice mod grnarmin
i think you have stumbled onto something really easy for KL1 owners here, just take out the TIR and use a McR20, and you are good to go!!!
wow, nice work
great beam shot and yes, can see the camera compensating about 1/2 second after the lights come on but great shots
nice one mate
Des

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have a stock KL1 to compare the optic to the reflector, which one throws better? which one is brighter?

AlexGT

SCblur

Enlightened

where would I find a McR20 reflector, and how complicated is this mod? Mind you I have absolutely no mod skills, but I would love something like this. If this is a rather simple thing, I might try it myself.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reflector you get it at the sandwish shop for $14 I read that is a drop in but you must change the curved lens to make it fit. Sometimes the head is really hard to open.

I would like to get a reflector for my modded kl1 but would like to see a beamshot comparison between stock and reflectored.

AlexGT

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome Thread!

Questions:

1) So the the one on the right is just a stock KL1 led with a McR20 & UCL lens?

2) Where did you get a UCL for the KL1 and what size is it?

3) How again did you take apart your KL1?

4) Did the McR20 fit in the KL1 pretty much perfectly? In othe words... a pretty simple mod, no? No machining or anything right?

Thanks again!

grnamin

Enlightened

Thank you. Note: This mod was already done by many before me. :)

AlexGT said:
Do you have a stock KL1 to compare the optic to the reflector, which one throws better? which one is brighter?
AlexGT

I have a stock KL1. The latter throws better than the reflector and seems brighter because it's much more concentrated on the target. With the reflector, you get a good spot and good flood out of the package. Have to wait until dark to shoot more beamshots. :D

The only really difficult part of this mod is getting the bezel pieces loose. I wrapped the KL1 in shrink wrap and immersed it in boiling water for 5 minutes to "melt" the threadlock. I then used strips of rubber inner tube to grip the bezel sections and loosen them. Took a pair of wire cutters, spread them apart just enough to properly contact two of the four little brackets that hold the driver board in place and twisted the LED holder/heat sink off:
standard.jpg

jar3ds said:
Questions:

1) So the the one on the right is just a stock KL1 led with a McR20 & UCL lens?
The one on the right has a UW0J Lux III, same as the one on the left. Both have the same driver board (stock KL1). McR20 on the right, stock KL4 reflector on the left.

2) Where did you get a UCL for the KL1 and what size is it?
Flashlightlens.com. 22.8mm for the Longbow. I chose that one only because it comes with an O-ring.

3) How again did you take apart your KL1?
Please see above. :)
4) Did the McR20 fit in the KL1 pretty much perfectly? In othe words... a pretty simple mod, no? No machining or anything right?
The McR20 is a little bit loose inside the KL1. The LED is what centers it. I wrapped an O-ring around the widest part of the reflector just to center it prior to tightening down the bezel sections. You don't need to do this though. No need to machine anything. Just a drop-in mod.

Note: You won't really need a UCL lens. The stock convex lens is fine. Things to consider when using the stock lens:
1) After full tightening, there is a gap between bezel sections. No compromise in water tightness, though, because there's an O-ring in the threaded area.
2) The stock lens seems to widen the spot beam. The UCL lens keeps it tight.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for the comparison, If my eyes don't fool me the first light turned on is the reflectored and the second one is the optic right?

AlexGT

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
aw man! i posted beam shots on the flashlight forums Kl1 Mod thread, you beat me to it though. I love the KL1 with mcr20 smoothness and output. Its very nice. Runtime and less heat with a KL4 type beam and decent brightness.

grnamin

Enlightened
AlexGT said:
Thank you very much for the comparison, If my eyes don't fool me the first light turned on is the reflectored and the second one is the optic right?

AlexGT

Whoops! Allergy meds kicked in and I completely forgot to label the shots. Yes, Alex. You're right. First light was reflectored, second was optic. I highly recommend this mod. The whole package is cheaper than getting a full-priced KL4, if you don't replace the LED, just the optic for reflector and domed lens for UCL. :)

Sorry, Bobby. I should get out your post in FF. :)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this is the SF LED I've been waiting for. I don't like the pure floodiness of their LuxV lights (hopefully will be resolved with the use of a K2 instead) or the pure spot of their LuxIII lights. I've wanted SF to come out w/ a Lux3 with reflector for that beam in the video. Very nice mod! I know tho that I wouldn't be able to open up a KL1 head.

city cop

Newly Enlightened
So can you do this MOD to the new L1? Just change the reflector? Awsome job by the way:rock:

grnamin

Enlightened
city cop said:
So can you do this MOD to the new L1? Just change the reflector? Awsome job by the way:rock:

Thank you, and yes, this can be done to the lastest generation KL1. Just change out the optic for a McR20 or IMS 20 reflector (both from the Sandwich Shoppe).

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
city cop said:
Thanks! I'm gona order it today and try not to hack my L1 .

City Cop, please note that the L1 as you mentioned above is different from the KL1 head. The L1 has a dummy head, with all the circuitry in the battery tube/holder. The KL1's circuitry is housed in the head itself.