Why not use 9v batteries?

FNG

Enlightened
Ive been wondering why people dont use the small 9v batteries for flashlights. Im just trying to understand more about electronics.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Actually the PAL lights do. I think the main reason is most of us use lights that already exist as "bases" for mods, and it's rare to see them use 9V. 9V batteries are somewhat expensive and 9V is way to much for the LEDs. Hook a white LED up to a 9V and you've got a turquoise LED
smile.gif

Those are some of the reasons I can think of...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
9 volt batteries are pretty much 6 AAAA batteries wired in series, so the capacity of the 9 volt battery is rather low considering it's fairly high cost.

On the other hand, a Streamlight Stylus uses 3 AAAA batteries and gets about 10 hours run-time.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I saw a torch...I think it might have been on this forum... that consisted of a PP3 battery clip and 3 LED's wired in series on the top. The device simply clipped onto the top of the PP3 and had no switch...to switch of you just unclip it from the battery. Does anyone know the name of the torch or its maker?

Brock

Flashaholic
I know radioshack has a red blinking one similar to what you are talking about. But somecompany in the "Theatrical" business is making them in all the colors also to use as guide lights or markers. I can't remember who it was that is making them, I might have the link at work, but not here.

Tree have you seen it?

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Brock:
I might have the link at work, but not here.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They're available from Tools For Stagecraft. I have a couple of them. They work well and are simple to snap onto the 9V battery. For longevity I'd recommend the ones from Radio Shack that run off 2 AA cells. The Radio Shack ones will run for months. The 9 volt ones are only good for a few days.