Resigning

flashlite

Enlightened
I decided to accept a position with another company, so I'll be resigning from my current job either tomorrow afternoon or Monday morning. It's a good career move for me.

Originally, I was going to resign by walking into my supervisor's office and giving him an earful, but after some thought, I decided it was probably better to keep it positive and include a respectful and professional letter of resignation. Why burn any bridges? I may have to use these sorry schmucks for a reference some day.

Any advice on how to handle this or what to expect from some experienced quitters?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Do it politely and say as little as possible in your resignation letter.

Venting will not do any good, and likely come back and bite you sometime when you least expect it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've only had to quit once. Despite the horrors I went through in that job, I remained respectful and polite until I walked out the front door. I've never felt the need to vent or madmouth the company even after I quit working there. Why? It was a great learning experience! All of my other jobs have been excellent compared to that one. :)

Congrats on your new job.

not2bright

Enlightened
flashlite,

I have left many times, most based on better opportunities and more $$$. Even if the current working conditions are poor, keep your composure and provide two weeks notice by providing your boss with a letter of resignation.

Here are some simple examples:

http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/letters/l/aa030998_6.htm

Keep the letter simple. Do not slam the company, your boss, or co-workers. Thank them for the opportunity, and wish them well. This letter will remain in your file.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been on the receiving end of that more that I have the issuing end, but for the most part ...

You have answered your own question.

Your new prospective employer may not have checked with your current employer yet.

I'm sure a few of the resident lawyers will be along to tell you how you can sue a previous employer for degatory or inaccurate information, blah, blah, blah, so I won't taint that with any examples of reality or how it may be handled discreetly within the "old boy's network".

... and your means of resignation is also indicative of your profesionalism if you are employed in a professional position.

flashlite said:
I decided it was probably better to keep it positive and include a respectful and professional letter of resignation. Why burn any bridges?

Any advice on how to handle this or what to expect from some experienced quitters?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I left the Navy involuntarily for being a BUFFFER (Big Ugly Fat*** - Fails to Exercise Regularly), during my exit interview with the Captain of the boat. I mentioned some of my concerns that had been ignored. But instead of "venting", which would have been ignored, I tried to express them as helpfull suggestions. More along the lines of "I wish I would have been here long enough to help XXX finally get XXX working better". It seemed like the CO was actually listening, he even asked me some follow up questions on some of the issues. I don't know if it changed anything, but I know venting would have been blown off even though I would have felt better. But my goal was to make things better for the guys I was leaving behind, not to get even, which wouldn't have been achieved anyway.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I walked off my last job at that call center. Basically I had received the three warnings, attended and signed up fr addition training and was a week from possibility getting terminated if I failed one call of the 4 out of 600 and something that would be screened. I didnt want to get escourted off the property or find out my key card didnt work and have to wait around for the bus. I did write up a 2 week letter notice and did show it to the boss as a solution to the problem I had and how to handle it.

Ive learned if they fired me, I would have some benefits I am not entitled to since I walked off.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exit interviews are the place to respectfully voice concerns for the company and suggestions on how to make things better even after you have gone. Venting, ranting, etc. usually only come back to bite you in the butt.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the call center I worked at offered those. I thought it was rather silly and meaningless. I mean, you are not going to work there anymore what possible good could you offer them and if yo uvent or rant, would they even bother noting the remarks?

Anyway, that place was big on suggestions, suggestions, suggestions. They offered money, some commission if it was profitable and free goodies from points earned from suggesting suggestings. Lets just say I got 3 company logo shirts in3x size, 2 travel bags, retractable badge thingie, cooler and cross pen set.