Surefire nomenclature

Rando

Enlightened
Can someone break down the nomenclature of Surefire models for me? From what I can tell, the number in the model is the number of cells (G2, 2 cells). What do the letters represent? Lamp type? And what's the difference between the E2E, E2D, and E2L? The bezel? More?

Rando

Enlightened
I see, thanks for that info. I guess the main thing I was asking about with the letter in the model was what's the difference between an L2 and an E2 and a U2 and an M2? The lamp? Slight body style differences?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rando said:
I see, thanks for that info. I guess the main thing I was asking about with the letter in the model was what's the difference between an L2 and an E2 and a U2 and an M2? The lamp? Slight body style differences?

L=LED
E=Executive series
U=Not sure...Utility?
M=Millenium series

JM-99

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's extremely complex. The best way to navigate is likely to download the latest catalogs from SureFire.com and see the products they offer.

But, lets try:
Mostly, Incandescent flashlights use a letter to indicate the model series followed by a number indicating the number of SF123A required, followed by a letter indicating a specific difference or feature.
Prior to this SureFire used a different (aka Classic) model code system.

Primary letters - model series:
A - Digitial Plus Series regulated incandescent (A2)
C - Standard body size, PocketClip, non-adjustable CombatGrip. (C2/C3)
D - Standard body size, PocketClip (D2/D3) - discontinued
E - Executive bodu size, PocketClip (E1e/E2e/E2d)
G - Standard body size, Nitrolon polymer (G2)
M - Millennium Series - a bit complicated (M1/M2/M3/M3T/M4/M6)
P - Models 6P/9P. Not changed to P2/P3 because they are "Classic".
Z - Standard body size, CombatGrip body (Z2/Z3)

Suffix letters indicating a specific difference or feature:
D - Defender (Crenelated Bezel & TailCap) (E2d)
E - Elite (the non-elite version has been discontinued) (E1e/E2e)
L - LED Bezel (E1L/E2L use the KL1 bezel)
N - "Navy" Tested by SureFire to be waterproof to 33 metres.
O - Outdoorsman (discountinued) (E2o)
R - Rechargeable version (G2R)
T - TurboHead version (M3T)

SureFire has a specific model series of LED flashlights.
L1, L2, L4, L5, L6 & L7
There were released after the attempt to standardise the nomenclature but with the exception of the L1 and L2 which were planned at the time of the change, they let a further change in nomenclature based on the LED Bezels SureFire released to allow people to upgrade their existing flashlights.

L4 uses the KL4 bezel.
L5 uses the KL5 bezel.
L6 uses the KL6 bezel.
L7 uses the KL7 bezel.

Note that these was a KL2 (discontinued) but it was not for the L2, there is a KL1 but it is not the bezel for the L1, and there is a KL3 but there is not an L3.

I guess that SureFire wanted to keep the model codes short (2, rather than 3 characters).

Like I said, its not simple!

carrot

Flashaholic
E* is Executive
Z* is Zulu
C* is CombatLight
M* is Millenium CombatLight
L* is LumaMax
A* is Aviator
U* is Ultra
K* is Kroma

The 6P and 9P do not follow these naming conventions, but I believe the P originally stood for "Police" versus a 6C for "Civilian" and 6Z for "Zulu," not to mention the 6R for "Rechargeable." I'm unsure about the older models like the 12*'s however, or the rechargeables like 8NX or 8AX (Nitrolon and Aluminum?)

No idea what the "G" in G2 stands for...

Edit: Yup, as I predicted, Al beat me to the punch.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've never seen Z refer to "Zulu" in any SureFire text...
"C" does not mean CombatLight. It means Centurian. It's just a letter going spare at the time.
Not all Millennium Series models are "CombatLights" (only the M2 and M3/M3T have CombatGrips).

Because SureFire have been around for so long there are many historic systems that have not been superceded.

Use of an "A" could mean:

A2 - flashlight.
A19 - adapter body to convert 6P to 9P etc.
AN14 - adapter body, Nitrolon, to convert G2 to G2R.
M900A - standard bezel version
M500AB - TurboHead bezel version
X200A - original version
SF323AC - Stock-isolated battery stick, three-SF123A (aka 9V)
618FGA - No idea what it means. Perhaps to identify it has a Shotgun WeaponLight?

Does "L" mean LED? Sometimes!
L can mean Lamp Module (L60, LM90, LU15 etc), Laser Module (L72 etc), LED bezel (KL4 etc), LED flashlight (L1 etc), 5" long pressure pad (suffix L for example 650-0505BL), or just "Light" (6BL BatonLight etc)

"K" means "Kroma"? No yet at least!
At this point "K" means:
"Kit"
KT3 (TurboHead Kit #3)
KR22 (rechargeable Kit for G2 with UK powersupply)
KM501 (conversion kit from M500A to M500B)
or
K also means stiffened tape pressure switch waterproof to 30 metres (628FK)

These are just a few examples of why the nomenclature is not simple or easy!

Al :D

P.S.
"G" means a disable rocker switch on a WeaponLight forend (for example: 618FGA), but, a disable rocker switch on a Classic Universal WeaponLight is "D", as is the disable shuttle switch on a Nitrolon, Military or Millennium Series handgun WeaponLight (whereas a disable flag switch on a Classic Universal WeaponLight is "S")

So "G" means Nitrolon? "N" is used for Nitrolon when it is an adapter body (AN14) or a Nitrolon version of the 8AX (8NX), but "P" means Nitrolon when referring to handgun WeaponLights!

P.P.S.
There are so many questions to ask that we'll never get answers for!
Its best not to get too worried about it all (trust me)

Rando

Enlightened
Thanks all for the info, it's starting to make a little more sense now. I'll look at the SureFire catalogs for a better feel of the models.

Perhaps, with the OD and desert tan colors offered for the G2, G stands for Government Issue. :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Rando said:
Perhaps, with the OD and desert tan colors offered for the G2, G stands for Government Issue. :)
I don't think so. If I had to settle on what "G" in G2 meant I would go for "General".

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Z for Zulu is standard like B for Bravo but what is the connection of Zulu to SureFire? Could it simply be because Z and P rhyme in the USA?
(Z is Zed, not Zee in the UK)