Should I go to an interview at a car dealer?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ve posted my resume online and updated it and like clock work, I get calls from the commission only insurance companys that ask what seemingly sound like serious questions, need for urgency and an interview ASAP with the top officals of the company.

Well, I received one, one of many from a new car dealer. Like above, it was very open in what it was regarding, other than I could interview tomorrow at 11 for a position in the auto field. I am assuming its for a car salesman position. Maybe they seriously need a parts guy or something, but lets assume its for a salesman.

Well? Would you do it? Any possible advantage other than experience and likelyhood to get an employe discount on a new car from them? I have experience in sales, thats with lack of follow through on my co workers, lack of product from the manufacture and no wiggle room on price as we do not finance or lease.

I ve been in a few interviews and no second call backs and I need something soon.

carrot

Flashaholic
I say go for it. You can always say no later.

Unless they do a really hard sell on the job position to you... ;)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Car sales is always commission only unless it is for a Saturn dealership or a car rental company like Hertz(Ford). If you have the speaking and interpersonal skills to manipulate people and can stand for long periods, it might be worth investigating. It can be lucrative if you have the right skill set and the ability to become a professional sales person, however many inexperienced candidates just take to lying and trying to scam people to hustle a commission. To be successful at car sales you have to be more like a corporate account/business development manager than a store sales clerk.

It wouldn't be for a parts position, since those require job knowledge and experience, and they would have done a phone screening for that kind of position.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I felt a bit sore today and decided i did not feel like driving for half an hour on the interstate, unless I was given a sign. About 10 minutes before the needed travel time to go there, boss gives me my paycheck minus holiday pay. WHAT!!!!!!! I could of had a 4 day weekend or more if I was not going to received holiday pay and head to the folks house andmaybe do some work on the van, benz, or take a needed rest.

I was pissed off and left for 2 hours, which I am allowed to come and go as I please. Map quest directions and the website was wrong, wrong wrong. I called, got the right directions and made it there just in time. The place was new, newly built area. The operator knew I was there for an interview and I filled out an application. While doing so, I could see two young men walk by me sizing me up.

I was taken to one of those small glass rooms after finishing and giving it with my resume to the operator.

A well dressed guy with a 3 piece suit and perfect hair talked to me. He talked briefly about what Ive done in the past, talked about some famous local names involving the equipment companies Ive worked with and for and people figures. He immediated ran out of the room and brought in another person. He went over what position I wanted. I told him I just received the phone call and was interested in customer service, parts or sales. I told him my sales experience was rather limited and much of my work is done from a phone and database.

He left the room and the suit guy came back. He structurely ended the interview telling me thanks for my time and that my resume was forwarded to the supervisor for the parts and business dept. He said someone will be calling me in 5 days and walked out of the office. I was going to ask why I was not cnsidered for sales, but decided I had what I think was pretty good news and left it at that.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear things didn't work out.

cobb said:
He left the room and the suit guy came back. He structurely ended the interview telling me thanks for my time and that my resume was forwarded to the supervisor for the parts and business dept.