If you were going to buy 25 co-workers a light, what would it be?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately I've been passing out the little Lighthound Photon clone keychain lights to my fellow Line Technician Trainees at work. But if you had a little spare cash, say $300-ish, and you just felt the desire to be extremely cool, what light would you get 25 people?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything really, just to have incase the power goes out, to look into dark areas of the machines that we work on, etc....

greenLED

Flashaholic
I second Brighteyez' question, keeping in mind that $300/25=$12 is not much for a light, but you can get a bunch of minimags and Nite-Ize drop-ins for about that price (a little more) - or maybe you can get a discount for such a large purchase.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, maybe I wouldn't buy that many lights. I like the looks of the new Nuwai X-1s'. Maybe if I buy a boatload of those I'll get a discount. Or just get a few at a time. The Minmag/Nite-Ize suggestion is pretty good though.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned Line Technicians. Could you elaborate a little bit? Is this relative to low powered telephone or Lan lines or is it in reference to electrical lines (e.g. 480's). If it's electrical, you might want to consider something that is of a plastic construction.

And as others have mentioned, the budget looks a little stretched. Mini Mags with a Nite Ize would be good for computer line technicians, it's a good flood type work light. If you need something larger, there's always the $9.90 Mag lights from Fry's (outpost.com)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
"If you buy a boatload..." But at most you'll be buying 25. It's out of your budget.

KDOG3 said:
Hmmm, maybe I wouldn't buy that many lights. I like the looks of the new Nuwai X-1s'. Maybe if I buy a boatload of those I'll get a discount. Or just get a few at a time. The Minmag/Nite-Ize suggestion is pretty good though.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's about $12 a person including shipping. I think candidates would be:

RR 2xAAA 0.5W light (from Target) at $10 each (same as Nuwai TM-311H)

Nuwai TM-310H from Led_Experimenter for about $10 each including shipping (Review)

The 1AA 0.5 W clickie and twisty lights from Advancedmart for $12 or a little less - shipping might be free on a big order (clickie review) (twisty review)

The cute chrome plated brass 1AAA 0.5 W clickie from Advancedmart for $11 plus shipping. (review)

If you want to take a chance with overseas shipping, your volume would qualify for free shipping from Dae's overseas wholesale warehouse where there are several 1W luxeon (clone) lights available for $12 and under. They are either 3xAAA or 2xCR123 and I don't know much about them - I just noticed the prices. Dae might help you with a large order - he's always been reliable for me on smaller orders.

That's about all I know.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $300.00, I would have to buy them a Mini Mag.

Up the budget, and I would pick either the L1P or the L2P depending on whether or not they could carry them on their belts or if they needed to carry them in their pockets.

For reasonably priced lights, I have not found one light that is more useful than the Fenix L1P.

-Goatee

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I should clarify Line Technicians. I work in a glass factory and I'm talking about the packing line. The gauger, the vision eguipment, and the robotic packer are the machines I'm talking about.

Yeah, I guess the only "boatload" of lights I'll be buying will be the $1 keychain lights. But after I get throught the training, I'll be making upwards of $17.50/hr, with 5% montly bonus. Hmmm, I guess I could buy the guys on just my crew a light, 5 or 6. But who knows? Maybe I'll catch some cash and be able to be "cool" and do this.

The reason I want to do this, is I see people squinting and putting the hand up to sheild there eyes from the ceiling lights to see into the machines and of course I have to step up and let them use my good flashlights. I carry a G2/BOG 3W drop in, and my black "KL1-E2D" defender which stays with me only! Also on swings and midnight shifts when the power goes out, its' freakin' chaos when 120 people in the plant suddenly have no lights. And again, of course, its, me who has to save the day. And it would be really cool to do as well, wouldn't it?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kdog, you're a really good guy to consider this. You might consider getting some sample cheaper lights to show them and then have something prepared so they would know where to go to get their own at a good price. One of the $12 lights I mentioned above, or a L1P tops.

Or see if you can organize a group buy for at least a few of them - 2 or 3 at a time and it might catch on.

They would probably appreciate it more if they paid for their own...

greenLED

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:
...I guess I could buy the guys on just my crew a light, 5 or 6. But who knows?...
Many years ago I gave each of my field assistants a minimag (7 of them). We're talking 1999 here, so they were all stock. :( I keep thinking I should buy a bunch of Nite-Ize drop-ins and have those fine gentlemen upgrade their lights (assuming they still have them) if/when I meet them again.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about Princeton Tec Rage. Well made, very bright for the size, colors, and a pocket clip.

For your budget or under you can get 25 of these shipped. Not a compromise in any way, IMO.

Mark

lebox97

Enlightened
the new version Dorcy AAA's with lens are pretty throwy for such use (though I prefer the older version if they can be found) - wallymart for about $7@

dtsoll

Enlightened
I agree with Flash Gordon on the Princeton Tec Rage. I've had a few of these and they are great lights for the money! You couldn't go wrong with these and have enough for everyone!!!! I was thinking they used to have something like the rage but it was an LED version, anyone remember this?? Doug:)