So, can anyone guess what this may be? - Ok, here's what it is.

RipplesOfLife

Newly Enlightened
Aside from it being a Kinderegg toy container with four wires coming out of it. Can anyone guess what it may be or guess what it may be used for? It's something I put together. It's a very simple device, actually it's more of a component than a device. It's really nothing new. Just that it's inside a mystery box (or actually container).
I'll open the mystery box some time tomorrow, as to allow users some time to post their guesses.

kinder1qg.jpg

Ok, here's what it is.

Now that summer's here where I live, I've been doing a lot of biking often riding into night fall. For head lights, I sometimes would strap a 1 watt headlamp that I have, and a dynamo incandesent light which I replaced the bulb with a 10 mm LED plus resistor.

The dynamo LED light worked ok without any other component, but since the dynamo generates AC, the LED was on only half the time. Of course it (the blinking) was too fast to really notice at all. Though it seemed that the LED was not as bright as it can be. And also by having this current setup, the LED would of course go off when I stop like at an intersection, and which means that if I wanted some light while peddling all the way home, I'd have to generate the power the entire trip.

I don't know if it's just me, but using the dynamo slows my bike down by about I would say 20%, or it slows down that much faster. The dynamo LED light is really just a light to let other cyclists/pedestrians know that I'm coming their way. In terms of lighting my path, it's not enough. Even my 1 watt headlamp is not enough to light my path sometimes, especially when there is no other public light source.

So, what does this Kinderegg container with wires coming out of it do?

Lets see, there are four wires. One red, one black, two greys (or of the same color). The container could have been any container, but this one worked the best, it was lying around doing nothing anyways.

So, the red wire would most likely be a positive terminal. The black wire would most likely be a negative terminal. And the grey wires would most likely be terminals without polarity.

kinder12tw.jpg

Yeah, that's all it is. A bridge rectifier with a 1 F capacitor.

kinder33zj.jpg

Yeah, it looks wierd, but it'll solve some of my bike lighting problems. Now I can charge the light and then take the dynamo off my tire and still have light, even when I stop. I initially wanted to install it inside the casing of the light, but there was no room. I guess this is better, since this way gives more versatility.

I was think of putting a switch, but wasn't really sure where to mount it. So, yeah, can't turn off the light once it's charged. Oh well.

With a bit of rearrangement, like flipping the bike over, and mounting the dynamo and homemade ac-dc converter to the rear wheel, it can probably serve as an emergency battery charger for AAA, AA, C, and Ds. The DC output should be upto 6 volts (maybe less because of the rectifier) depending on how fast the wheel spins.

Again, nothing new. I guess I just got a bit excited by to making what I needed, and not having to go out and buy it.

*Edit*

Well, tried it out tonight. The performance is comparable to most shake lights that use a capacitor, in that it does not stay bright for too long. The light does stay on for quite some time, but "useable light" has a very different meaning between being outdoor and indoor (unless you paint your walls a black).

As far bicycle lighting goes, has anyone ever thought of, tried, or wished at times they had the following setup. (of course with proper weather proofing).

image28ju.gif

Though, I guess one fall, and the light is history.

I wonder if it's even allowed. It's like having a super big umbrella when it rains.

Last edited:

Orbit

Enlightened
Re: So, can anyone guess what this is?

night light with brightness controll?

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
Re: So, can anyone guess what this is?

flux capacitor? 1.21 jiggawats?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: So, can anyone guess what this may be?

Hmmm, hate to be the "bad guy" - but how many posts do you expect here in this thread (and how much more bandwidth do we need on these type of posts)? How the heck could anyone "not psychic" know what's inside the "egg"? :ohgeez:

Lighting related...Then why not just say so and tell us of this marvel instead of playing 50 questions?! :thinking:

No disrespect intended, but it wouldn't surprise me if this thread was closed next time I'm "cruising" through this particular CPF hallway!

Yeah, I'm not much fun tonight - eh? :rant:

RipplesOfLife

Newly Enlightened

Sigman said:
Hmmm, hate to be the "bad guy" - but how many posts do you expect here in this thread (and how much more bandwidth do we need on these type of posts)? How the heck could anyone "not psychic" know what's inside the "egg"? :ohgeez:

Lighting related...Then why not just say so and tell us of this marvel instead of playing 50 questions?! :thinking:

No disrespect intended, but it wouldn't surprise me if this thread was closed next time I'm "cruising" through this particular CPF hallway!

Yeah, I'm not much fun tonight - eh? :rant:

Sorry, I honestly had no intent on hogging/tying up the bandwidth in any way. Just thought it'd give everyone's mind a quick exercise.

Lightmeup

Enlightened

I think people who get abducted by aliens have those implanted in their bodies when they return.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast

wait a minute I'm confused, it can't be a "mystery box" because we know exactly what it is; a toy container, and you know what's in it I assume, correct?
So what's the point of you opening or not opening it?
It's more of a "box of mystery" than a "mystery box" isn't it?

RipplesOfLife

Newly Enlightened

TedTheLed said:
wait a minute I'm confused, it can't be a "mystery box" because we know exactly what it is; a toy container, and you know what's in it I assume, correct?
So what's the point of you opening or not opening it?
It's more of a "box of mystery" than a "mystery box" isn't it?

After making this thing and looking at it, it reminded me of I guess, yeah, a "box of mystery". More like, "It does what it does, but what's in it?"

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a suggestion re: the dynamo slowing the bike down. once you get the battery charging circuit going; you could use a dynamo that gnerates even more wattage, but have it make tire contact only when you're braking, so it will charge the battery while helping slow the bike..like a fly wheel in a car..

and/or you could harness the wind and attach a little wind turbine..

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
All of the above - yeah, that's what I would have said! And no, I'm not in any better mood today either! Really...:ohgeez:

Seriously, we're all for innovative "inventions" related to our hobby. It was just the initial direction the thread started towards that had me shaking my head, saying - "Oh no, here we go again!"....:huh2:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
but Sig, that's the nature of creative thought; to always associate and ramble and associate again..taking off on seeming tangents and blind alleys, only to associate and return to the same spot from another direction to see the problems with new eyes and new perspectives, and always an association here, an association there, an association, everywhere... that's the way to explore the depths and heights of what is in the human mind; because mere waking conciousness is just a little hole in a big wall through which we see very little at one time..or maybe it is like like a mouse, scurrying through a huge mansion, aware of only the little corner of the room he happens to be in, wih no concept of the entire house...or like trying to see what's in a room with the small point of light from a laser...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ted - HAVE WE MET?! :crackup:

Seriously, if you knew anyone who knows me well...they would describe my conversations with them as taking the EXACT "path" as you have described above...

...oh and I agree with you as well!