1st inova t5 mod..unsuccessful

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought I would let everyone know how tough the Inova t5 is. I liked the light's runtime and that it could use AW 17500s. I hated the trios optics...so I decided to remove it. I used a combination of pliers, screwdrivers, and a leatherman-needlenose pliers hammered against the optic to try to break it. The optic would not come out as it was behind a metal ring. I was unable to break it, even when I was fed up and hitting it with all my strength. The led also continued to function flawlessly up until the 100th strike or so, then it died.

Lessons learned: Inova makes tough lights. Trios sucks, I wish they would make a reflector version of the t5. Lastly, I am somewhat of an idiot. I had a t4 and gave it away. Its not like I didn't know what the beam would look like when I bought it. So if you like a super tough well made light with no spillbeam, buy a inova t series light.

BBL

Enlightened
how about drilling out the optic? maybe the light can be repaired.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
freeze - pop!

completely fill with water, put in freezer,
wait some hours,
remove, fill again, put in freezer
2-4 times and the front "pops" out,
without any damage

Protaeus

Enlightened
yes...definately freeze pop.

Perhaps a forum search beforehand would have saved your t5.

Freeze popping takes a couple of hours and leaves no damage whatsoever.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, now if only I had a time machine...oh well, I have made stupid decisions before...did I tell you all about the time I was in mexico and paid $283 to get a dent taken out of my car door and have the door repainted....it looks good by flashlight...not a lux led mind you, but maybe a aaa light from 8-9 feet back....See flashlights do make you feel better about the world.

BBL

Enlightened
does the freezing-method really work on the T4/T5? Anyone tried yet? (i'd really like to see the T4's internals)