tri-lux battery configuration questions

bbb18c1

Newly Enlightened
I am planning on building a tri-lux maglite, but i am having a hard time deciding on the battery configuration to use to pweer this light that will give good lumens and good runtime.

I plan to use 3 twoj stars, but i can't decide wether to dd it or regulate it. I'm also not sure which driver would be better for my application (shark or fatman).

I was thinking of using 3C alkalines in a 2d maglite direct drive or 8xAA lithiums in a 2d maglite using either the shark driver or the fatman driver.

will any of these work?
Or does anyone have other configurations that will work on lithium aa's or alkalines (I have lots of aa lithiums and c and d alkalines so i prefer to use these)

VWTim

Enlightened
Right now I've got my tri-lux running 3 TWOJ's DD on 3C Alkalines. On newer cells it'll draw 2.4 amps total, so puts the Lux's at spec. I do want to put a Fatflex when those become available and either change the batteries to Li Ions or possibly the new Enduro or Enloop AA's for storability.

Last edited:

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off Welcome to CPF!

If you use a 2D host you can run 8AA alks or Nimh's. I use a Fatman in one of my Tri-luxes with 8AA alks and I get over an hour regulated runtime. If you use a potentiometer you can get even longer runtime on a lower setting.

VWTim mentioned the FatFlex. The FatFlex is a new driver coming, hopefully soon, that incorporates the boost circuit of the Fatman combined with the abilities of the nFlex. George says it's still a couple months off though.

If you use 3C alks it probably won't be very efficient, especially if you plan to drive them at say 1000ma (assuming a Fatman driver not DD). Check out the Fatman technical page at www.taskled.com .

If you have "lots of lithium AA batteries available" I would recommend going that route with a Fatman. Assuming they are of the 1.5V variety and with the Vf of your stars you may want to use a dummy cell with them. However if using AA alks the voltage sag under load won't pose a problem.

A Modamag 2D>8AA battery holder is what I use and it works great!

Good luck and don't be affraid to ask questions. There are a ton of great guys here that are more than willing to help out.

Last edited:

VWTim

Enlightened
rscanady said:
Okay dumb question, but if the trilux is running 4 TWOJ, would that not be a quad-lux?

Ryan

OOps, updated thread for the typo. But yes, it would be a Quad....unless you're in Canada due to the exchange rate....

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
but the 8AA>2D adaptor won't allow you to use 2700 nimh's right? Their too fat?

They'll fit you rebore the tube but will they fit a stock mag body?

I'm planning on running 6xrcr123's in my 2D w/ nFlex

VWTim

Enlightened
No 2700's won't fit. I haven't had any luck getting Sanyo 2500's in that some claim will fit in the right orientation. For my stock bore lights that are 4x I use Rayvac 1800's they fit in perfectly.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
but the 8AA>2D adaptor won't allow you to use 2700 nimh's right? Their too fat?

They'll fit you rebore the tube but will they fit a stock mag body?

I'm planning on running 6xrcr123's in my 2D w/ nFlex

According to Modamag you can use 6 2700's and 2 dummy cells and they will fit in a non-bored Mag using one of the 2D>8AA adapters. If you are using a Fatman you'll be fine. I have yet to try this myslef but I have no doubt in his word on the subject.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mirage_Man said:
According to Modamag you can use 6 2700's and 2 dummy cells and they will fit in a non-bored Mag using one of the 2D>8AA adapters. If you are using a Fatman you'll be fine. I have yet to try this myslef but I have no doubt in his word on the subject.
humm... i wonder if i can use 6x14500's with 2 dummy cells... that would be a slick setup... and then I wouldn't have to worry about a dang battery carrier...

however, i wouldn't be able to use primaries as i could if i used rcr123's...

I also like the idea of having a surefire battery container (6 cell) as all I need as a waterproof backup battery pack...