r123 in a Surefire L1?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
To vent some frustrations I picked up a Surefire L1 (red) from a local retailer today. It is the earlier LuxI with a great flood. Sure seems to be brighter than advertised... What a great, great little light!!!

Anyway, has anyone had luck with this little 2-stage light and rechargeable and protected 123s?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL- Don't get me started! :touche:

My concern is around overdriving the L1 with a rechargeable 123.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Good question! I don't know. Would it?

I don't mind burning single 123s but the thought of a rechargeable option is so attractive.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I've asked this question on here before... my impression is that as long as the Vf of the emitter is pretty high you should be fine(I think an 'L' bin might be fine, not sure about a 'K' bin).

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the unprotected MP li-ion will fit it... but you might blow it... its like gambling or the stockmarket...

only do it if your willing to lose it :D

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
These forums absolutely ROCK! Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Since this little bugger has such a long cell life I don't mind feeding it a primary cell. It appears that a protected r123 is not an option.

Now, crazy question- does the head from the L1 fit on the L2 body? How about the L1 tailcap? It appears that the head and tailcap are interchangeable. If so, is it then possible to pick up an L2 body and swap the parts? I think my issue is the red LED- can it run on 2 primaries without hotflashing? Or will the onboard circuitry reduce the chances of this effect? Or maybe run a 17670...

Thanks...

SCblur

Enlightened
I know the tailcaps are interchangeable, I'm not sure about the heads though.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chronos said:
Now, crazy question- does the head from the L1 fit on the L2 body? How about the L1 tailcap? It appears that the head and tailcap are interchangeable. If so, is it then possible to pick up an L2 body and swap the parts? I think my issue is the red LED- can it run on 2 primaries without hotflashing? Or will the onboard circuitry reduce the chances of this effect? Or maybe run a 17670...

Thanks...
Asked this once myself.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/101621

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I just tried it. The (early) L1 with an L2 head- no low beam on a 123 primary, and not very bright on hi. I tried an R123- still no low, but brighter on hi. I tried the L1 head on the L2 body :devil: and it was bright! As it is a low dome/optic head, I suspect It wouldn't live too long like that. It doesn't make sense to me for SF to put buck/boost convertors in the lights and I suspect they're both boost with the L1 set for 350mA and the L2 to 600mA or so. Just a guess.

Larry