Here we go again, hurricane season!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed the first TD forming in the caribean and it's headed for Florida, How do you think this year is going to be regarding hurricanes? Are we in for another Katrina?

AlexGT

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope we are not, I hope that if it comes everyone can get out of the way this time. that said, it is likely that some major hurricane will make landfall in the US. The best we can hope for is it is not as strong and does not hit an area as vulnerable again.

Good luck everyone down there, our prayers and best wishes will be with you all.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Here we go again, hurricane season! stanley cup!

i thought you were referring to the north carolina hurricanes who will be bringing home the stanley cup soon!

lets go 'canes!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT,

It's going to be different in New Orleans this year, that's for sure. With only 40% of the population and just 10% of the businesses that were open pre-Katrina what we are seeing is more of the people here who really want to be here. It's going to be very interesting.

We have the same Mayor and Police force (in name, anyway), but much has changed. Because so much in so many lower lying areas was totally destroyed last year it means that this year a greater portion of the population lives above sea level. (Same people -- but since the overall population has decreased so dramatically, the proportion of people above sea level is much higher) Some of them will always have the "weather jitters" but there are a whole bunch of the city's residents who have become totally radicalized by their experiences last year. These people tend to be doctors, lawyers, business owners, and essentially anyone who A) has something, and B) wants to keep it.

Even New Orleanians now understand that they have no Police force. They know that they cannot expect the police to do anything so anti-PC as stop the looting of their private property. They now know that the NOPD will be right out there with the best of them, jacking cars and looting pharmacies. (The exact same people who did it last year)

While New Orleanians have never had the reputation of being the smartest people on earth, in the last nine months they have been doing more than just standing around with BBQ sauce on their shoes. For better or for worse, many on high ground in undamaged homes will NEVER again abandon their pets and their possessions to the Mayor's toothless thugs just because he tells them they have to leave.

No matter what happens there will be a lot more citizens on the ground this year with cameras and g...asserting their rights.

It is a very good thing. It will be interesting. I hope that it's not so interesting that it kills me. This year's changes in attitudes may make it messy, but then, it was pretty messy last year when so many citizens just did what they were told to do. Oh, well.

In a way, people who live in hurricane country are very lucky. They have a somewhat more tangible reminder for half of every year to urge them to prepare for the unexpected. I would advise all of you, wherever you live, to prepare for a two week lapse in the normal social order. That will put you in pretty good shape for many of the things that may happen in your area that you just haven't thought about.

/rant

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said, SubUmbra.

The total breakdown of cilvil law enforcement was a terrible thing to watch. The silver lining is that the American people will not allow it again.

"Remember New Orleans" and support the NRA

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It would be FINE with me if another Rita type storm stays WELL away from me...

But that ain't the way the SMART money bets!

I'm lobbying for a big instant on generator... but planning to lay in at least 55 gallons of gas pretty soon for the one we have. I live some 80 miles from salt water (bay) and better than 95 from the Gulf itself. But Rita had us without power for a week or so!

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
why is it all the big storms name have feminine names? Is there an omen here?? hell has no fury like a woman scorn. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
why is it all the big storms name have feminine names? Is there an omen here?? hell has no fury like a woman scorn.

I dont know, but one this year is patty, my wifes name, and after the year she has had with the cancer and just finishing radiation and lost her voice from it, WATCH OUT if they make it that far in the list, she is in a mood!!!

SolarFlare

Enlightened
There's been a thread somewhere before about this, but maybe this year America will realise that global warming is true. I don't want to turn this thread political but its about time America got involved in the Kyoto agreement. Global sea temperatures are influenced by global atmospheric temperature, and we all know how storms/hurricanes/typhoons form. If you're worried about hurricanes then lobby your goverment, and get greener

Last edited:

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Solarflare gets the last word on the politics of Hurricanes in this thread. No more!

It will be fun to watch the reporting after the last 3 years of storm after storm with each year being worse than the last one. For gosh sakes, a tropical depression that's not even forecast to make hurricane strength is front page news now. Give it another year or two and they will start talking about higher humidity levels off the coast of Cuba before the first cloud even forms. It is fun to watch, at least until the last 24 hours when you know someone is about to get hammered.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's so much hype this season that some will be ready to evac whenever it gets partly cloudy. I think that many will be better prepared than last year and I'd also bet that things will fly off the shelves of stores even more quickly when warnings are issued than they ever have in years past. It will be interesting.

On the positive side, every day that goes by without a storm is one less to go. Things could be worse. The first hurricane in the 1933 Atlantic season occured in May. Geeze.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live inbetween the Gulf and Tampa Bay. The wife got all antsy and ran out and bought water and food. There is preparedness and there is overkill.

The media here really gets to me, they hype up any weather activity and get you all worried so you'll "stay tuned" to their channel and sponsors to keep informed.

i'm not trying to down play any of it but there will always be some sensationalism involved.

We use large plastic totes to store our supplies. Got one for the food and sterno, gonna need another one for the lights and batts (grinning thank you!), and there's a third for all my ammo.

Having kids changes your perspective about riding out the storm. Been living here my whole life. When you're young its time to throw a "hurricane party". Having kids means "get out while you can". No sense in taking risks with their and your own life.
the supplies we have are for if its a close call and we're without power or when I come back in the aftermath. I will leave Moma and Princess at safe haven while I pick up the pieces, but that is also dependant on circumstances of the fall out.

Friends have laughed in the past when I talked about aftermath prep and the trolls you may have to deal with. That was until storms came close and they saw first hand the scum patrolling thru neighborhoods looking for targets of opportunity. At least the cops were diligent in patrolling areas or evacuations.

dca2

Enlightened
One ting Katrina did was encourage the creation of my deployment BOB--stuff I needed in New Orleans but didn't have and the Army didn't give us. We were told to pack gear for 3-4 days. 164 days later, I came home!(had a few leaves built in so I eventually got my stuff)

We have also beefed up or stash at the house. We are 300+ miles from the Gulf Of Mexico, but we get the evacuees and the second round from last year were quite undesireable from what I understand and we get a major ice storm every couple of years. After seeing people wade through the water with a trash bag of stuff and their kids in a shopping cart, if they could find one, we have several BOB backpacks packed and ready to go--4 kids makes multiple bags necessary.

Day 11 and all's well in LA

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the average number of hurricanes between 1995 and 2005 is probably unprecedented, we have not seen a long-term increase in hurricane frequency during the 20th century overall. Instead, we have seen periods of high hurricane activity that last for several decades, followed by decades of low activity. The 1920s-30s and 1950s-60s were active periods. In 1995 we entered and are currently in the latest natural phase of high hurricane frequency, which is expected to persist for another decade or two.

So... it would appear that we're entering a normal and repeated period of high hurricane activity that will persist for many years to come. So far this is not as bad as even the 50's was, so there is no reason to blame katrina on global warming. We have not yet surpassed the the fury of nature logged from before the last century.

You understand I'm not arguing that there is no such thing as global warming. Only that it doesn't make sense to return to living in caves and eating raw soybeans which is where certain international treaties would leave us. Better solutions need to be found, and they will be.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks for that eloquent and brutally honest report, Sub. Not having experienced it myself, I can only imagine how the events of last year have changed the remaining populace in profound and lasting ways.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hate the death and destruction of huricanes and storms but i still love em i have watched a tornado before ive always just loved weather .im wierd i guess

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
So... it would appear that we're entering a normal and repeated period of high hurricane activity that will persist for many years to come...
Does anyone else remember 15-20 years ago during El Nino when it seemed that there were nearly no hurricanes in the Gulf at all? For a few years the majority of them took a right turn and headed up the East Coast.

The fact that the trends shift slowly over years and years takes some getting used to. It's a little maddening to know that it's going to take years for our current storm activity to taper off.

Population growth makes it all worse. Look at the huge growth of a city like Miami that has taken place in the decades since they have had a really close call with a big storm. Miami is not alone in this regard. There are a few cities on the East coast that have the potential to make Katrina look like a paper cut. When I read of the havoc caused by hurricanes hitting places on the East coast it just makes me wonder at how bad it would be in some of these areas that have grown so much since they were last hit. Like New Jersey, Massachussetts or New York City.

Here is a page with a listing of 'Historic Hurricanes' that I find interesting more for the locations than anything else. When you consider that the time span for these events is little more than the blink of an eye in terms of earth's weather history it's kind of disturbing since so many more people live there today.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
All weather goes in cycles, everything in nature does. Ask any hunter especially (usually because they spend so much time observing and out in weather) they can tell you very well how weather, animal populations, mast crops, fruits, nuts etc, all go in cycles, very strong abundant years in a row and then almost oever night lean years. I remember some winters not that long ago where I heard trees cracking and splitting in the woods from the cold freezing the sap, even had one do it while I was sitting and leaning against it.

If I remember not too long ago, well perhaps some wont remember if they are 30 or under, we were (acording to some) going into the next ice age again because of all the heavy cold winters. When in fact, those same experts now say we are coming out of the last ice age still.