Half Life 2 help

rycen

Enlightened
Can anyone help my display problem with Half Life 2?I've tried all the links in the support section of steam and none of them seem to work.When opening to the main menu all I get is a bunch of jumbled colors and see no characters.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kinda video card are you using? How's the system's video performance when not playing HL2?

I had a similar problem with HL2 because I had the wrong video driver installed. Everything else worked okay except MPG/AVI playback was a liiiiittle choppy. (Actually I tore down my PC only to find my video card was on the HCL then the light bulb went on over my head.)

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a videocard problem maybe adjusting the resolution of the videocard, try lowering the resolution.

AlexGT

rycen

Enlightened
The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics. I can't really compare the video performace because this is the first time I've used my computer for anything such as this.How do you adjust the resolution of the videocard?The last time I did anything to a PC is back when the 486 was the king.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Don't remember the HL2 requirements, but I'm pretty sure the Geforce4 MX is at the bare minimum for HL2. Try upgrading the drivers as the others have said and see if it improves matters. It's just a simple download off Nvidia's site.

maverick

Enlightened
Are the cooling components (heatsink/fan) working properly? Could be an overheated GPU causing the garbled display. Also, make sure your CPU/RAM/Graphics card aren't overclocked in anyway. As others have stated, update the nvidia software as well as having a quick look at the "readme" file for known technical issues.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say update the drivers as well but figured if you went to other forums, this already would have been suggested. Another possibility, and I don't see this much anymore with today's monitor's, is that the game is picking a video refresh rate higher then the monitor can handle. Do you have an older monitor? As stated, I think you have the bare minimum for the video card requirements. If your CPU is fairly robust, you could get one much better for even a hundred dollars.

rycen

Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys.I did update the drivers,do I have to clear the old ones out?

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
rycen said:
The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics. I can't really compare the video performace because this is the first time I've used my computer for anything such as this.How do you adjust the resolution of the videocard?The last time I did anything to a PC is back when the 486 was the king.

I don't know the rest of your system details, but I'm using a GeForce4 MX 420 and have played Half Life 2 a lot. You won't get the best graphics, but it looks pretty decent. I did have to update my drivers, so I think that will do it.

It's not a bad idea to check for driver updates before installing any graphics intensive video game. Space invaders, not so much.:grin2: