• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 4D-625

darmawaa

Newly Enlightened
I've read about 4D Lithium regulated powered Mag with 625 Osram bulb. Anybody interested making and selling it?
Can it be used non stop for 20 mins+ ?
If only I have enough time to build it :) .
Thanks

Leef

Enlightened
I've been looking for LiIon D cells. Who sells/sold them? What's their Ah capacity?

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Its a nifty idea. Ordinarily, lets say this time last weekend, I would have leapt at this thread and offered to build you one. After my incident with the exploding primary CR123s I really have lost my nerve when it comes to running more than 3 amps through a circuit, especially for an incan bulb. 8 to 10 amps is what you will need for that 100 plus watts.

AndrewWynnRouse is one of the CPF experts in 100 plus watt Mag mods. Other than Bill Waites and the USL Andrew likely has more "stick time" as a pilot would say with 100W bulbs than most anyone I know of. The key thing to this mod is of course the power solution. Anyone can build a Mag85 but once you reach the 100W arena the power supply engineering becomes the make or break. The awesome news is both progenitors of the most revolutionary gizmos ever to hit the hotwire scene, aforementioned AWR and his Hotdriver LDO and Winny (Andreas) with his Monster Mag (and brain assembled in the kitchen PIR-1) the 2 guys that forever changed the way I use the term "soft start" both have a lot of development time with the high wattage Osram bulbs.

Of course the trickiest element of a 100W mod is the battery pack itself. Its crucial to achieving a nice overdrive or choking on excess resistance and rewarding you with a nice yellowish jaundice beam. Herein is one of the magic devices that make the 100W Mag an easily reproducable thing. And a Mag85 becomes something a grade schooler wouldnt have trouble with. It goes like this, 2 cells is your perfect WA1111, add a cell and you have a perfect 1185, add a cell and you have your (fill in the blank 12V nominal bulb with overdrive - Osram HLX). What is this cell you ask? Why, the fabled terrifying Dee LiIon....

5200mAh of sheer glory, 10A discharge capacity nominal, and unfortunately no longer available and probably not ever again, bada bing bada BOOM!

The Emilion D LiIon cell..... they were available in Jan-April from Emil. All gone, BUT there are more than 300 cells floating around this mortal coil, most all held by CPFers. I myself have seventeen of the little gems (hee heee heeee). And NO I'm not selling.

For the LiIon uninitiated, the number on the cell is a type 32580, which when you dissect it means:

32 (mm diameter) 58 (mm length) 0 (cylinder cell)

It charges to 4.20V like any other rechargeable LiIon but has no protection circuit, and no forgiveness for bonehead moves. On the plus side, great battery pun, no more goofy AA cell adapters. Forget all that 8 cell AA is good for this, but 9 cell for THAT, and 12 cell for this, blah blah blah. No, its as simple as 1,2,3. 1 cell direct drive LED with K or higher Vf or Fatman or other boost converter, 2 cell 7.2V is an ideal WA1111 or WA1274, or Surefire MN21 M6 HOLA (fits PERFECTLY in a 2D Mag, but you KNEW that!), 3 cell is an WA1185 that has to be seen to be believed, SOOOOO bright and white. ALso runs the WA 10W HID ballast with a kicking overdrive, spanks the AE PL14 (betcha lot of you Mag 3D owners didnt think of building PL14 killers with your Mags, just add the same parts Mac uses, the -008N ballast and 10W bulb.

dsc01634red8001be.jpg

Last edited: