Power Supply

NightShift

Enlightened
I want to transfer my luxeon flashlight that I made, out of the 8 "AA" holder into an enclosed 4 "AA" holder. Its currently running off 3 Ni-Mh batteries w/ a resistor.

My question is, would it be better to run it off 4 batteries rather than 3? Because when I charge the batteries, I need to charge them in pairs...it would just even things out, and it would fill up the battery pack. Any advantages/disadvantages to this?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first Luxeon was a 4AA battery pack. I modified it so it only took three and I used the extra slot to add the resistor and a switch.

I thought it was pretty cool. My next one I added a momentary switch at one end and a SPDT switch at the other end. Pushing the momentary would give full brightness and provided momentary light.

The SPDT was wired for ON with resistor one way and ON bypassing the resistor the other way.

It was a two brightness setting 3AA flashlight.

Hey!!! I still have it on my web site. In case you are interested here is my mod on my web site.

http://home.attbi.com/~theledguy/Flashlight/index.htm

Ooops. Didn't answer your question. I guess I'm saying I think 3 is cool.

Four batteries definitely will need a series resistor all the time.

-WayneY

NightShift

Enlightened

moraino

Enlightened
Originally posted by NightShift:
Hey thats pretty cool, I have almost the same setup! Take a look:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mine too. It has two SPEEDS and a heat sink.
grin.gif
grin.gif

MOD2.jpg
MOD3.jpg
MOD1.jpg

NightShift

Enlightened
Heatsink, good idea...I should get one of those...after long periods of use, the hot glue melts and the luxeon comes loose on mine
smile.gif

moraino~> is that a 4 "AA" two-sided battery holder? What do the two switches exactly do?

moraino

Enlightened
Originally posted by NightShift:
Heatsink, good idea...I should get one of those...after long periods of use, the hot glue melts and the luxeon comes loose on mine
smile.gif

moraino~> is that a 4 "AA" two-sided battery holder? What do the two switches exactly do?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, it's two sided. And it has two swithes for two circuits. The front one, off and 80mA with resistor. The second one, off and full voltage, about 1A on 3 fresh NiMH.

The het sink is hacked from Pentium CPU, good for 4 mod. I chosed it because it's deep enough and can sink quite a bit of heat. Hope this help.

Henry