Which driver board can do this?

grnamin

Enlightened
Is there an aftermarket driver board that performs the same way as the one in the gen4 KL1? Works with 1, 2 or 3 CR123 batteries? Light intensity drops down instead of causes the light to strobe? Any ideas?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Greg - this is a real hole in the market. AFAIK, there are no after market buck / boost constant current driver boards which can do this. I double checked the sandwich shoppe, LED Dynamics, and Georges80's taskled.com site.

I have seen constant voltage buck / boost setups, which "could" be used if you are willing to run somewhat non optimally. These are a lot more common.

grnamin

Enlightened
Hey Harry, I was hoping when I saw a reply to my post that you had something in mind. :D I guess I'll have to stick to a KL1 with a reflector for now. :)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't a Downboy work? The ones at the Shoppe aparently work with 3V all the way up to 16 volt, 400, 500, and 750ma output. Or am I just way off in my lack of modding knowledge (which is minimal)?

mccavazos

Enlightened
I'm not sure of any of this, just adding some thoughts. First of all its says ~3V, and that will only supply 400mA. Second, doesn't the voltage on a primary sag under a load that high? I'm not sure that a downboy could hold regulation at the bottom end of its input voltage. maybe dat2zip can add his wisdom here...

Chris

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Downboy is described as a buck converter, so I doubt it will boost Vin to the needed VF. I have a feeling the voltages listed for the converter are the specs for the chip to operate and not get damaged, not the specs for what is needed to do it's function.
It should be possible to have a u-controller sense a voltage from a feedback resistor and adjust the PWM or PFM signal to a constant voltage converter, essentially making it a constant current driver.