Show Me Your CR2 Ions!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Guys!

I am strongly considering getting a CR2 Ion... The experience that I had over the weekend showed its need...

However I can't decide between the Alum. Bronze and the HA-NAT... Price is no biggie I just want to see them both...

So if you could post pics of your personal Ion or give me a link of where either the Alum. Bronze or the HA-NAT can be seen...

Thanks!

dtsoll

Enlightened
jar, go over to 4sevens site, pics are over there! look in the dealers corner for a thread from 4sevens. Hope that helps, Doug:)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh awesome! Thank you guys so much... i didn't know the fenix store had them :D

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the alum. bronze model and I dropped my keychain on my concrete driveway with the light attached and it never put a mark on the body!! This light is one of my very favorite custom lights, the beams are ideal for me and it is built like a tank!!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
lrp said:
I have the alum. bronze model and I dropped my keychain on my concrete driveway with the light attached and it never put a mark on the body!! This light is one of my very favorite custom lights, the beams are ideal for me and it is built like a tank!!
word! My main issue with Bronze Alum is that I don't want 'shiny' .... i'm in the military and i need subdued... is there a way to take the shine away without making it look like crap?

dtsoll

Enlightened
I've had a couple of these in the past, but didn't really care for the runtime on high with Primaries. Are we still getting around 40 minutes on high with these? I know I could go with rechargeables but I just don't want to get into all that right now, my kids keep me busy enough with AAA's and AA's on the recharger!!! Doug:) ps no hyjack intended, carry on!!

darmawaa

Newly Enlightened
I've a black ion. Personally I like the natural one in color, but it is not available at that time. I'd pick the HA over Aluminum Bronze due to it's weight, if you put in in your pocket lighter is always better.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what the aluminum bronze Ion will look like if you bang it around on your keychain and don't keep it shiny.

ionpatina.jpg

The color is a slight bit off, in person it's a bit darker and duller.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
Here's what the aluminum bronze Ion will look like if you bang it around on your keychain and don't keep it shiny.

ionpatina.jpg

It adds character to the way it looks. :eek:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:

ionpatina.jpg

thanks planterz... it almost looks OD-green from the photo :D...

Stress... how to decide between NAT alum, and bronze alum... decisions decisions! :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This is the patina of Al-Bronze when sitting on a shelf / nightstand and getting used occasionally:

Ion2.jpg

--> very nice look IMHO, much better than the clear shiy jewel look it came with :D

bernie

bwm

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have an HAIII blue Ion and it is very light. In my opinion too light. it's nice and light in my pocket but a little more heft in my hand would be better.

Brian

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a (previously owned) alu-bronze on the way - for this (or i guess all the ions), is it everyone's experience that they don't take much of a beating if keychained and will survive well? thx!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the discoloring, my Al-bronze Ion has held up supprisingly well on my keychain. Except from where I dropped my keys once (which put a slight ding in the bezel), I see no scratches or dings.

pilou

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
word! My main issue with Bronze Alum is that I don't want 'shiny' .... i'm in the military and i need subdued... is there a way to take the shine away without making it look like crap?

The "natural" color sounds like what you may be looking for. The blue looks good too :)

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Other than the beautiful aesthetics... What of the performance of this light???? How does it compare to the FFIII. I thought I was through buying for a while, but no. Here comes another cool light. Whats the story on performance Planterz??????????? Does it work with rechargables?????????????????

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really can't compare the Ion to any other light, simply because of it's floody beam. I really like the flood for my keychain light, since floods are much more useful up close. Most of the time I stick on low, but high is quite nice for lighting up an entire room. I've had mine since February, and I'm only on my second battery (CR2 primary). Keep in mind this included a lot of playing around with on the first battery, so under "normal use", it would last even longer.

It works on rechargables, but if you plan on using them, get the Ion kit. It clears up any shakey, flickery output when using it on low, and allows use on high. With AW's RCR2s, you'll need a spacer (which the kit comes with) of some sort (I originally used aluminum foil, but this caused flickering) to be able to activate the high level. The battery is just too short otherwise, and the head turns fully down without hitting high. On low with a RCR2, it's much, much brighter than the low with a CR2 primary. High is only marginally brighter. Expect 2.5-3.5 hours of good, useful light on low with an RCR2. You probably won't even bother with the High level, so runtime on High might not be worth worrying about.

I really like my Ion, but my customized Jil Intelli might kick it off the keychain, as might an Exolion if I can pick up another one. If they don't replace my Ion, I'm seriously considering getting an aluminum bodied one (probably blue), since the aluminum bronze one really is quite heavy. I didn't think it would matter much, but if I switch it with my Jil, I can really feel the difference in my pocket.