Cabela's new light with two 3-watt Luxeons?

SCblur

Enlightened
390 hrs. Introducing the new FISSION powered flashlight from Cabela's

dda

Newly Enlightened
This light is not new. I got a couple of these a couple of years ago. The run time is overstated. Maybe 35 hours run time . It is a good light with a good beam . The 2 bems merge to make one nice beam that is smooth and bright.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own one too. Nothing really to write home about.

Mines feels cheap and has a rattle in it. At least it does come with a pocket to carry it in.

Its fairly white and like noted, the two lamps combine to give a small spot of light. I would say its about the same or dimmer than a 3d cell mag light, just the beam is white than the redish color.

I used mines to read from the phone book at a job i had and would just leave it on its side on the table with a stickie pad under the end. I rolled it so the two lamps were stacked on top of each other soit gives a line of light like a line magnifier.

It was later used by the owners son during a power failure for a few hours. It still has the same set of batteries I put in it a year ago and still seems bright.

It may produce usable light for several hundred hours. I tried to take it apart, but the head seems to he on a short piece of wire. I may need to remove the membrane cover to the switch and unscrew something.

I think like mentioned if it was boosted, it may be really bright.

d1337

Enlightened
Thanks for the info on this light. It doesn't really sound any better than my 3D mag-lite with the three watt Diamond LED replacement bulb.
:awman:

iced_theater

Enlightened
It's not much better than the diamond mag. I dropped mine onto the ground from about 4-5 ft and it loosened the reflector, so I took it apart and saw that the reflector is glued in and since I couldn't get it to stay centered I took it out to see if I could fix it. Then I tried to see what luxeon I had and it broke the wire. Since I couldn't fix that cuz I don't know how to solder I tore it apart :p I've attempted to fix it since then but never could. Here are a few pics showing the parts.

This first pic is of where the resistors used to be. There were two of them though I don't know the colors on the bands since I trashed them.
P6120062.jpg

This second one is the heatsink and led's.
P6120065.jpg

This third pic is the reflector and you can see how it was glued in.
P6120067.jpg

This final pic is of the switch and resistors where it was mounted.
P6120069.jpg

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
d1337 said:
Has any one seen one of these duel lux III lights from Cabela's? Any thoughts?

It ran for a very long time on a battery test, I quit before the batteries did. The LEDs had two tints so the light gave good color rendition. I had two of them and both had two different tint LEDs. I wonder if that was on purpose? I sent them back and got the Nuwai TM-800X3, got the same output as the Cabela's light on two LEDs when I run the TM-800X3 on two emmiters. The TM-800X3 is a tri-lux that allows you to select 1, 2 or 3 emitters on. The LEDs are the same tint. When you put 4 rechargeable C's in it the brightness is greater than the Cabelas. Both lights are the same physical size. Considering the cost is about the same the TM-800X3 is a better buy and my opinion better quality.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, sorry to hear that. I have yet to drop mines and feel something may break or the outter housing may crack if I do so.

I think if they made this out of a real mag light and use 3 3 watt leds in the head, it would be a hit.

Man, I hate to see you broke yours. I hope someone here can fix it. It does give me a better idea how to take mines apart. Of course once i do so, I have no idea what to do. What, install a puck to regulate the power so it makes full brightness? Swap out the leds for the tivo ones with the highest output per die?