Rookie Question light power

User4Fun

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the flashlight community and i ralaised taht i have a " thing for it" when every timei see a cool looking flashlight in a store i stop and say cool like a 16 year old kid.
Question, i am getting in the law enforcment field in the near future and i am also a huge fan of bright light.

What are the guides to buying a portable flashlight
I wanted to be small (Not a Mag-lite) i wantit to be light andi wanted it to be supper bright. I am willing to spend up to $150.00 if it is really impressive.

I would also like it to rechargable, if it happens to be NiMH or NiCd that would be good because i already have a charging unit.
I have been reading on LEDs but it seems like that are not all that cracked up to be??

Please help

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
Well, you're gonna notice there are as many different opinions about lights here as there are stars in the sky. Much of the preferences we have in lights are as much taste as evidential. That being said, here are some generalities that hold true in most cases.

1. LED lights do not throw (ability to project the light over a distance) as well as their incan counterparts.

2. Another popular consensus about LED's is that they do not produce light as conducive to the outdoors as incans. Many have said that the LED light is 'ghostly' and impairs depth perception outside at night. Not exacly tested fact, but most find it to be in line with their experiences.

3. Incan lights are not as easy to use rechargable setups with as are LED lights.

4. Perfect regulation exists only w/ LED's (w/ the exception of the A2)

5. LED lights are more efficient than incans at lower light levels, but I believe that this advantage is neutralized at brighter outputs.

Those are just a few things I can think of that you may want to be considering. Check out the website www.flashlightreviews.com

It is a superb source of light reviews, conducted objectively.

If you are looking for a factory setup, I know surefire makes some nice recharebale systems (both LED and incan), and if you are willing to put your own light together, the options are boundless. I for example, got a Streamlight TL-3 and purchased two 17500 rechargeable cells from CPF member AW. It runs brighter than stock (about 130 lumens) and will go for about an hour before shutting off.

Start browsing around the forums and see what people are making, and talking about. That's a great way to get familiar w/ all the options that are out there.

Welcome to CPF, and enjoy yourself. The people are super-friendly here, so don't be afraid to dive in w/ more questions.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

As SCblur advised on doing some reading at FlashlightReviews—Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tigerlight ($150) makes a nice rechargeable flashlight popular with LEO. Also, the Streamlight SL-20XP ($100) is a good choice with a bright halogen bulb and 3 leds for low level light work.

Jeff

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tigerlight
Magcharger
Streamlight Ultrastinger

Very bright "cop" sized rechargable incandescents.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolfeyes and Pila also make good lights for LEOs. Rechargable and very bright.
Check out Wolfeyes at Pacific tactical solutions. They have specials and reduced prices for CPF members. Look for them in the dealers section.

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Planterz said:
Tigerlight
Magcharger
Streamlight Ultrastinger

Very bright "cop" sized rechargable incandescents.

He did say that he didn't want "Mag-lite" size........

Check out this thread for some ideas;

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/118588

It's also worth mentioning that with LEDs you can get multi-level lights, which widens their usefulness a lot. Of these only the Striker VG and VB-16 would be within your budget I think - but you could get a charger and a lot of Li-ion cells too! (+ a brighter incandescent light for occasional use if you wanted perhaps)

Don