Surefire M3 - EDC'able?

Protaeus

Enlightened
Hey guys,

Im considering getting a moderately high output light for EDC - the 60 lumens just doesnt cut it for me any more and the HOLAs just dont have enough runtime for me to confidently EDC.

So I was just wondering, is the Surefire M3 small enough to be EDC'd? It seems to be bright enough with the runtime.

Also, can anyone suggest a brighter EDC light from other companies?

My requirements are:
1 hour runtime
100+ lumens
Probably not LED, though suggestions are still welcome.

Thanks guys!

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
While I am in the middle of purchasing an M3 myself I cannot yet remark on this however...

I have noticed and made comparisons to the SF C3 and at almost half the cost it seems like it might fit the bill for you as it is also a smaller package 6.4 inches long vs. 7.1 inches long with a considerably smaller bezel, still putting out a 105 lumens at 60 minutes of run time... And it even comes with a clip...

Hope this is of some help,
Firebladz.

roguesw

Enlightened
hmm, i tried to edc the M3T, um, big head lol, not very easy, just ended putting it in my bag,
to be honest, its long and i am now looking for a standard m3 head
but the m3 has a great advantage, the platform for all the M series bulbs and by adding a cell extender, you can run the M4 bulbs (as you know protaus :)) and even the M6 bulb
if you are to edc it, i think you need a pouch like the blawkhawk ones, for horizontal carry, as i dont imagine vertical carry would be very comfortable

jeffroalpha700

Newly Enlightened
Ther M3 is a little large to carry all of the time, but you could if you wanted to.

Its standard 125 lumen lamp will run for 1 hour and provides a good amount of light. I do keep the HOLA 225 lumen lamp in mine and use it only during building searches. I also have a weapon-mounted light so I don't have to use it too much. It works well when holding it with my gun.

Hope this helps.

Stream

Enlightened
Well, since you asked about other brands, I EDC a Streamlight TL-3 in my jacket. It also clips to the belt and is quite EDC'able this way -- no more bulky than a cell phone. It uses 3x123s and has a stated output of 200 lumens. While this figure is probably inflated it is at least 100 lumens. The overall output (according to www.flashlightreviews.com) is the same as the M3, but the TL-3 has much more throw. It is also relatively cheap, it costs between $45-$60 depending on the deal you get. Either way it is probably the most bang for the buck you'll get in a stock light.

Another great thing about the TL-3 is that you can run it on rechargeables very well. Two protected 17500s is said to run the light for about one hour with about the same brightness and with less diminishing output than with primaries. I have yet to try this setup myself but I have ordered two pair of 17500s and a DSD charger from AW and I'll let you know how it works out.

Hope that helps,
Stream :)

schrenz

Enlightened
I think it is EDCable, on night-shift I wear it sometimes in the bag of my trousers, but you need big ones :grin2: , mostly I wear cargo-trousers from Fjällräven or Wolfskin.

The M3T is a little to big:laughing: it looks like a grenade in your bag:
Greets J.

roguesw

Enlightened
i second the grenade comment lol, yeah, it does look weird
i am trying to find a pouch for horizontal carry and thats looking like a strecth at this time,
looking for a pouch that will also have some rooms for spare batts and other essentials

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Protaeus:)

You've said other suggestions are welcome. Think about a multiple LuxIII mod. in a Mag. Very bright with long runtime:thumbsup:.

Best regards

____
Tom

GeoffChan

Enlightened
I wear BDU pant's from Propper International, I've EDC'ed the M3 (rear Left pocket) for a while and noticed that the M3 will fall out of the pocket when you're sitting down.

So if you do EDC one, just make sure you have a way of preventing you from loosing it.

Geoff

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I usually keep mine with me all the time in my pocket. The size doesn't bother me at all. I have a holster for it but thats on my duty belt. I'd like to get another holster for EDC though.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can carry an M3 in a leather bomber jacket pocket or the inside "pocket" of a denim jacket, but that is the only way I've found that is comfortable and not obvious. Since, it is often too warm to wear those jackets, I usually carry something smaller.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sent the money for one so I can tell you when I receive it.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
You might want to consider a C3 or a 9P. They are both smaller than the M3.

The C3 is Hard Anodized and has a pocket clip if that matters to you.

The 9P is a good option if you are going to use a holster because the body doesn't have any projections and it's easier to slide in and out of a holster.

The way I'm able to carry a light has a great influence on which light I carry.

I think the M3 is a better light than the C3 or 9P, but I use it less because the M3 is larger and harder for me to carry. I think the M3 is a better light because of the lamp assembly, shock isolated bezel and reflector. The M3 also has the "cool" factor going for it.

I have a M3, three C3s, Z3, D3, but I have 9P in my EDC. I carry the 9P because I can carry it in the chest pocket of my bibs. The 9P has a Z21 closed end tail cap with a lanyard ring. The lanyard attaches to the slot that is designed for the chain of a pocket watch.

I recommed you base your decision (at least in part) on how you intend to carry your light.

Pila rechargeable batteries will fit and work in all of these lights.

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
I have EDC'd both the M3 and C3 using the side pocket of of "cargo" or "painters" pants and not had any trouble. I also occasionally EDC an M4 using a "Galco" flashlight carrier which is basically a non-sheathed belt clip which I purchased from impactguns.com which has worked well for me as well.

good luck,

tmr

CLHC

Flashaholic
No problems EDC'ing the SureFire M3, SureFire M9 9 Volt lights. HECHT! I've even EDC'd my SureFire M6 to and for work along the VTA's LRV tracks! :huh: As some of the others already suggested regarding them "cargo" type pants. I use the carpenter style pants and it rides in the right leg pocket with no problems. I've done so time-to-time in my back pocket. Of course, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so.

Enjoy!