F1 drivers tribute.

Orbit

Enlightened
This footage may upset some viewers, mods please delete it if not appropriate. It is a very well made, and tasteful tribute, however some of the images are quite graphic.
But i feel it is a good message and one that transcends more then motor sport.
May their souls rest in piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORs-8GT6SMU&search=f1%20perished%20heroes

David Purleys efforts to save Roger Williamson alway choke me up.

This is the story of Roger Williamson.
At Zandvoort Roger was killed. He and David Purley were running their similar March 731Gs in close company when the left front tyre on Roger's car exploded on their eighth lap at the section of the track where Piers Courage had crashed three years earlier. They had just negotiated the left-right flick called Hondenvlak and were in the first of two fast fifth-gear right-handers when the incident occurred. The March struck the outer guardrail, the supports of which, incredibly, had only been set in the soft sand that is such a feature of the seaside track. It bent back with the weight of the car, before flipping it back on to the track, where it landed upside-down, right on the apex of the second right-hander. The left-hand fuel tank had been damaged, and a small fire started.
Purley immediately stopped his car and abandoned his own race in a selfless act of heroism harrowingly captured on BBC television.
Only yards away stood a fire tender, but no order was given to stop the race and its driver refused, perhaps rightly, to drive against the direction of the traffic. Worse, marshals with fire extinguishers merely watched as Purley fought a lone battle to right the upturned March. He could hear Williamson inside it. Roger pleaded with him to get him out. Time and again Purley tried to lift the car, but each time he failed. For two laps - at least 2m 47s -the fire was minimal, but then it grew dramatically in intensity. David tried to fight it after grabbing an extinguisher from one marshal, but by then the fire had too strong a hold.
As the marshals still remained immobile, appalled spectators began to try and help, unable to believe what they were seeing. Only then were marshals with police dogs galvanized into action, to keep them back. Finally, in the most callous act of cowardice ever seen in motor racing, they moved at last and tried to drag the desolate Purley away. He shrugged them off angrily.
Roger was uninjured in the cockpit, but they left him to die of asphyxiation. When they finally arrived, the fire trucks were far, far too late.

David Purley : Through his tears he said, "I just couldn't turn it over. I could see he was alive and I could hear him shouting, but I couldn't get the car over. I was trying to get people to help me, and if I could have turned the car over he would have been alright, we could have got him out."
Later, when the immediate grief had receded, he admitted, "I didn't even think about the heroism or any of that rubbish. I just did what comes naturally to a trained soldier who sees a fellow in trouble."

Denny Hulme : One of the problems may have been that the drivers were unaware of the seriousness of the accident; I certainly never knew that anyone was still in the burning car until after I had retired in the pits. When I came past the first time I saw the car on fire and David Purley brushing flames off himself and my initial reaction was that he had crashed and had managed to get out of the car OK, but when he was still there struggling two laps later I started to wonder. It never occurred to me that it was his car stopped on the other side of the road. I just presumed that there had been a two-car accident and that David had climbed out of the burning car, Initially the fire was small and the flame was low, blowing sideways as though a petrol line had severed and with the pump still on it was feeding flame out sideways like an acetylene torch. If Purley had had assistance as soon as he arrived, Roger could probably have been rescued. As it turned out, it was a complete disaster. The first truck took some eight minutes to arrive after driving round most of the track while the other truck stood 150 yards away and did nothing. I simply fail to understand it.
The Clerk of the Course at Zandvoort should have stopped the race as soon as he realised the seriousness of the crash. There was a fire tender standing 150 yards beyond the burning car, but it didn't move because the driver apparently had instructions not to drive the wrong way round the track. So a driver died.

http://www.planet-cutie.co.uk/zandvoort/

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was very well made. Safety sure has come a long way since the early days. Unfortunately, there are still areas on most major course's that cant be covered by safety officials. Thanks for posting it orbit.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
That was very sobering. Thanks for the video.

It's so sad to know that action is only taken when someone fameous or someone great dies... Almost as if a slower driver's life meant less than a really fast one. Sure, maybe a less talented driver makes more mistakes and some people may have the lack of humility to say that it was the driver's error that killed him but what about the allowance for mechanical failure and other factors out of the driver's control?

Some highly popular sports are still very unsafe today one of them being motorbike racing. I hope something more can be done.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ernest Hemingway said that there were only three sports -- racing, mountain climbing, and bull fighting. Everything else is just a game. You can get hurt playing games, but they normally don't have the capacity to cause death on a regular basis. You have a reasonable expectation of death racing, climbing, and bull fighting. That is still true today.

If you think celebrities get paid too much too play a game, hold onto your hat. The last time I checked on salaries for drivers was about five years ago. Michael Schumacher then made about $65 million USD per year driving for Ferrari. I've seen him drive. He probably earns it.

Even today, no emergency equipment is allowed to travel against traffic during a race -- too dangerous. Changes have been made. There is more equipment, better trained personnel, and better safety equipment. There are more rescue and fire vehicles at more locations at most tracks. Most of this is due to people like Jackie Stewart and the demnds that were made for driver safety. Remember though, one of the drivers who alledgedly thought that the HANS device ought to be called "the noose" and didn't want one because he thought he might get strangled was named Dale Earnhardt.

Also, even today, and not only in racing, there are a lot of people who either react badly in an emergency or do not react at all.

You can only do so much, but there is always much more to be done, I guess.