lights for 18650?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my 1st 14500s and think this technology has to be examined further.
Now I thought of getting the "largest" of them, 18650, and build some 2 stage-light around them, but...
in my old SF 6P they wont fit, even 17650s might not.
dunno how to check be4 purchasing, so maybe the best way would be to ask here:

What light can handle an 18650, the cheaper, the better?
(if the output does not work, the light will act as host, only the batt should fit)

vortechs

Enlightened
yellow said:
What light can handle an 18650, the cheaper, the better?
(if the output does not work, the light will act as host, only the batt should fit)

The Wolf Eyes lights have tubes wide enough for 18650 cells.

The MicroFire lights will fit 18650 cells with a bit of filing and sanding to the ring at the bottom of the tube.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P would be an almost perfect fit for an 18650 if you had it bored by 1mm. Optionally you can use an expanding blade hand reamer to do it; I've seen at least one successful job at this, but personally I've never had much luck with using reamers to "oversize" holes.

With the 18650 you'd probably have to convert your 6P over to an LED head since its full charge voltage would be around 4.20v, unless you can either tolerate a dim (but long) running 6P or find a suitable incandescent replacement.

The G&P version of the P60 lamp assembly has a seperate lamp and reflector, so it may be possible to switch the P60-style lamp with a Welch-Allyn 5v lamp such as an 1160.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Nextorch RT3. It has a wide body and will easily accept an 18650 cell, even a protected one. It comes in a kit with a 3.7 volt lamp assembly, the light itself, a charger and a couple belt holsters. The whole kit cost under $70.

It's a fine enough light, but the charging method is a little odd. You removed the tail switch, screw on a different tailcap, and the charger plugs into that. The cell charges in the light (through the lamp filament, no less!). It's incandescent, but I'd guess you could fit in one of the Bug Out Gear luxeon drop-ins.

I also ground out the insides of a Brinkman Maxfire enough to take an unprotected 18650. The Maxfire is cheap; under $20. The stock lamp expects a higher voltage than you'll get from the 18650 cell, so output will be dimmer and more yellow unless you change the lamp. Again, you might be able to use a 26mm lamp assembly from some other manufacturer. I've heard they fit in the Maxfire.

vortechs

Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
I bought a Nextorch RT3. It has a wide body and will easily accept an 18650 cell, even a protected one. It comes in a kit with a 3.7 volt lamp assembly, the light itself, a charger and a couple belt holsters. The whole kit cost under $70.

It's a fine enough light, but the charging method is a little odd. You removed the tail switch, screw on a different tailcap, and the charger plugs into that. The cell charges in the light (through the lamp filament, no less!). It's incandescent, but I'd guess you could fit in one of the Bug Out Gear luxeon drop-ins.

The charging method sounds similar to the Wolf Eyes tailcap charger. The charger is attached to a special tailcap that you screw onto the light. The cells charge in the light (through the lamp filament).