Looking at Red K2 or DB3 LED for Maglight

01foreman400

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at upgrading my 3D cell maglite to a red LED for predator hunting. My question is, the Diamond 3 watt red LED is rated at 140+ lumens and the K2 red LED is rated at 60+ lumens. I thought the K2 was supposed to be better. Can some one please explain this to me.

Thanks,
Darrell

SemiMan

Banned
Go for a Lux-III if you want the brightest red. It is a larger die than the K2 red by a good measure it looks like. The thermals look like they are twice as good.

Semiman

Tritium

Enlightened
You might want to look at green as well. Hog hunters use these at feeders in my part of the world. The hogs do not seem to notice that they are lighted.

Thurmond

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check the Lumileds site for the correct ratings. The ones that are on Diamond's site are a little off and are probably outdated ratings.

01foreman400 said:
I'm looking at upgrading my 3D cell maglite to a red LED for predator hunting. My question is, the Diamond 3 watt red LED is rated at 140+ lumens and the K2 red LED is rated at 60+ lumens. I thought the K2 was supposed to be better. Can some one please explain this to me.

Thanks,
Darrell

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxIII reds/amber are 4x the physical die size, and 4x the current rating of the luxI. Also ~4x the flux rating.

The K2 is the same size as the Lux1, but you can run it at higher current than the lux1.

The end result is the LuxIII will have more light, but not throw any further than a LuxI since the hot spot will be bigger. The K2 will have the same spot as a Lux1, but throw farther due to the increase in drive current.

Last edited: