• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mag Reflector

TacStar

Newly Enlightened
Recently I installed a Daimond white Luxeon K2 LED bulb replacement in a 3D Maglight.

While I am very pleased with how bright it is now, my main gripe is that the stock reflector is less than ideal.

Does anyone know where I can get a textured alumimum replacement reflectror for my MagLite, or if anyone even makes one?

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Borofloat lens is made of a high temp glass, like pyrex. Doesn't transmit quite as much light as a UCL, but is more heat resistant.

schiesz

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Borofloat high temp glass was intended for high temperature incan lamps. What you want is a UCL (ultra clear lens) from flashlightlens.com. It is its namesake, water white with an anti reflective coating to maximize light transmission by eliminating reflections, almost 10% more efficient than standard uncoated mineral glass. Top of the line for seven bucks or so.

Modamag makes his very good M2 reflector, also go check out Light-Edge.com they stock a full range of Mag reflectors. Fivemega's reflectors are top shelf, MM and FM can be found in group buys and passarounds. Actually, believe it or not for LED applications the stock Mag is superior to the textured ones, but if your taste calls for a smoother beam at the expense of throw then go to a MOP. Or even a HOP if you like big floodiness. Ive come full circle, went from mirror finishes (max throw but shows artifacts) to stippled and back to mirrors again. BTW, it drives me utterly bananas that folks spell it STRIPPLED (THERES NO R, NEVER WAS) or STIMPLED. (stip-pull) stippled reflectors give a very smooth and large center spot, they change profile more than MOP which tends to soften artifacts and change distribution less.

good luck, have fun!!!!

TacStar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I think I might try to texture/stipple the reflector myself, but I will probably end up getting an aluminum one also.

I think that the aluminum reflector might help to heatsink the LED assy. The K2 LED seemed to get quite warm, so I have not yet had it on for extended periods.

For continuous use, I'm not sure if the heat would cause any issues with the stock reflector or lens.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the k2, you should get the UCL,since it won't create infra red heat that will damage it...

a metal reflector may or maynot help with heat sinking the led assy.

CLHC

Flashaholic
That link that LumenHound posted is in expensive. I've done so to the "stock" Maglite reflector and it came out looking like the second picture in Post #25 of that thread. I also have Litho123's stippled reflectors set-up. Funny thing about it is that the DB-3W (don't know about the K2 version) drop-in LED doesn't fit through it.

flash

Newly Enlightened
Just be careful, because a lot of the custom reflectors have smaller opennings for the bulb, and the collar of the Diamond upgrade won't fit through those.

TacStar said:
Recently I installed a Daimond white Luxeon K2 LED bulb replacement in a 3D Maglight.